This book would be very useful for an instructor who wishes to introduce students to the basics of chemistry and cell biology in preparation for enrolling in a more advanced human physiology course. Reviewed by Soumya Bhattacharya, Assistant professor, University of Providence on 2/28/20, The book is quite comprehensive. Some of these chapter sections can run long, so having a method to break them up further could be useful. Other than putting the intro to organic compounds in chapter 4, the organization is good. The text provides good numbers of exercises relating to real-world There is currently a description of HIV and the drugs used to treat it in the virus section, and that probably needs to be updated. The logical sequence of information in this book keeps it clear for the reader. The chemistry content in this book should remain relevant for long period of time. We are supported by a community of engaged people who work together to help us to help teachers - so they can grow in their careers and meet the needs of our increasingly diverse community. I found this to be somewhat distracting. No index, bookmarks or glossary are provided. read more. Just a few items may need updating. The text is very practical, clear, and concise, and definitely written with the specific audience in mind. Currently our college has a year long course for our GOB series 3 quarters). The general chemistry information appears accurate and fundamental. I liked that there was a choice of reading the entire chapter continuously or proceeding through it section by section. This book has 20 chapters designed as a one-semester GOB; that is a lot of topics to discuss with good depth. Very small images especially in the biochem section detract from the experience and make it difficult to comprehend the material. There was a good focus on applications in the organic and biochemistry sections however. Each chapter follows the same format that should help the reader learn the content as the authors intended. COVID-19 Community Levels Map Update, Dec. 8, 2022: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has listed Fairfield, Hartford, Litchfield, Middlesex, New Haven, Tolland, and Windham Counties in the Medium/Yellow category as part of its COVID-19 Community Levels Map. Reviewed by Andrew Bonham, Professor, Metropolitan State University of Denver on 7/16/19, This textbook addresses all the major topics that I would expect to see in a General, Organic, and biological Chemistry textbook. We're here to support you on your academic journey. The subheadings or the headings with their accompanying texts should have been tried to be kept in one page, wherever possible. Builds from gen chem topics to organic and finally to biochem. The topics are general enough that they are not likely to become out of date. All terms are well-defined and explained in simple (yet scientific) language. Based upon the information given, it appears to date from the late 2000s. oxygen containing compounds that are acids). Mathematical formulas (such as those showing conversion factors) are not always consistently formattedthey appear as though they have been copied from one place to another, and appear blurry as a result. This book present conventional material in a way that can ensure it application. If I taught a GOB course, I would give this text serious consideration for use - especially given the fact that my students would be able to use this text without cost (or a minimal cost, if they chose to have a printed copy). In chapter 12, there is a reference preceding Figure 12.2 that requests the reader to recall that the VSEPR theory correctly predicts a tetrahedral shape for the methane molecule from section 4.5. However, many of my students are non-chemistry majors and they always look for justification to learn any new chemistry concept. The authors begin with basic general chemistry, increasing complexity through compounds, reactions, energy, and acid base solutions, before reaching organic, and biochemistry. The figures in the early chapters (1-5) make the material more straight forward for understanding. However, I feel that there are a couple of areas that could use improvement: The text, font and language used throughout the book is uniform. Very good definitions! This is a standard text for a course intended as an introduction to chemistry, organic, and biochemistry for non-majors. Reviewed by Beth Manhat, Adjunct Professor, Portland Community College on 8/21/16, This open course textbook introduces the fundamental of general chemistry (measurements, atomic structure, compounds, energy, reactions, etc), introduces structure and reactions of organic chemistry, and ends with rather substantial chapters on For a professor who used publisher books in the previous years, this book might seem a little informal in writing. Difficult concepts and topics are broken down in a way that makes sense without losing the relevant connections for understanding chemistry. The types of problems are expected for the level of the writing for this book. The main weakness of the text seems to be not showing the specific work (units crossed out, etc) for numerical problems (unit conversions, stoichiometry problems, etc) Students really need those specific steps to help them build confidence towards attempting them themselves. However, this GOB (General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry) is traditionally taught as either a one-semester or a two-semester format. Formatting and tone remain consistent throughout the book. The University of Manitoba campuses are located on original lands of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Mtis Nation. AFS was a file system and sharing platform that allowed users to access and distribute stored content. There were only a few grammatical errors detected during my review. There is no stand alone index or glossary but within the text there are definitions of bolded and underlined words if you hover over them with the mouse. The authors have tried very hard to keep in mind the student audience for a GOB course. The book is divided into inorganic, organic and biochemistry parts with some aspects of analytical and physical chemistry as well. GOB (General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry) is traditionally taught as either a one-semester or a two-semester format. Seems accurate, but could use more examples especially of more difficult concepts. The framework of the sections within each chapter remains consistent throughout the textbook. I detected no grammatical errors in the text, but, to be honest, I did not read every single page with sufficient care to guarantee that the book is completely free of grammatical errors. Within this textbook the chapter content is divided nicely into sections that are the appropriate length and easy to read. For example, pyruvate is spelled incorrectly in Figure 20.4. The book is great for an introductory chemistry class - it covers all the necessary learning outcomes for my particular course. It is very easy to assign readings that skip around the text. While the understanding of the minute details of biochemistry are often changing, this book does a good job of keeping more of an overview on these topics to maintain relevance. Take advantage of scholarships, resources and spaces specifically designed for education students. I'm primarily using this text in the third term of a three term intro to chemistry sequence. This might be appropriate if you were covering the entire book in one quarter, but not suitable for a full year GOB series. As mentioned previously, the textbook topics are divided between the chapters and subdivided with each chapter. The vast majority of the figures and tables were free of distortion and were high quality. Of course, care must be taken not to remove keywords and topics that are referenced in a future chapter if sections are discarded. This book is very comprehensive and covers the basics of GOB Chemistry for one or two semesters GOB course. The availability of the glossary at the end of each chapter also keeps the terminology accessible and understandable. This book should have been under the scanner of a compositor for much better visual appeal. Our research community brings together diverse perspectives and spans a variety of areas. The reason as to why certain chemical and biochemical reactions happen was not included. Cultural relevance is about as good as can be expected for a GOB text. It would help if this textbook was customizable, however, this is easily addressed by assigning specific chapter readings and pages to students. The well-organized sub-chapters with their specific learning outcomes make reorganization even easier. The textbook provides no other means than scrolling through the pdf to navigate through the chapters. The flow of content works well and there are no unnecessary figures interrupting the text. The topics in the book are adequately described without going into much details. Unlike a law, however, a theory describes and explains why a natural phenomenon occurs. Can this curriculum be applied to any particular level? Ionic species representation needs to be consistent. It is not in-depth, but it provides enough information for an introduction to each of these areas of chemistry. The lack of a table of contents and an easy way to navigate to each of the chapter sections makes it difficult to move around in the book. The text had no interface issues I noticed. The copy I examined did have a structural problem at the end of chapter 7 where the summary and review questions were repeated. There is no glossary or index and the text could really use one. read more. The text is generally accurate. Reviewed by Lisa Sharpe Elles, Assistant Teaching Professor, University of Kansas on 12/15/18, This textbook is a great one-semester overview of general, organic, and biochemistry for students needing an introduction to chemistry, such as pre-nursing or exercise science students. The material flows in a logical sequence. In addition, a few images are too small and many images are blurry (although readable). It is 20 chapters in length and approximately 350-400 pages; just the right breadth and depth for Reviewed by Stan Svojanovsky, Assistant Professor, Missouri Western State University on 5/21/18, This book is very comprehensive and covers the basics of GOB Chemistry for one or two semesters GOB course. Both could be assigned to the student, one for them to check and the ones without answers to see if the student really understands. The authors designed this textbook from the ground up to meet the needs of a one-semester course. Die Karl-Franzens-Universitt ist die grte und lteste Universitt der Steiermark. The pdf version had a lot of spacing issues and distorted figures but this did not seem to be an issue in the online version. The text descriptions of chemical concepts clearly written and set at the appropriate level for the intended audience. Based on the preface, this particular book was specifically written for a one-semester course. The chapters in the book are written in well-organized and consistent manner. The text is well organized and consistent. I deteced no significant interface problems in going through the chapters. As opposed to being distracting and a "diversion", it often helps the students engage better with the material. Esters would seem to fit best in the title for chapter 14, but are traditionally placed in the chapter that contains carboxylic acids since they are related by chemical reactivity (i.e. This type of splitting of content within a row across pages in the PDF is seen in Tables 3.4, 18.4, 18.5, and 18.6. Supervised clinical practice . Even though this text is listed as being intended for a one-semester GOB course, I feel it could also be modified for use in a two-semester GOB sequence. This book does a good job covering the subject of GOB; however, the subjects presented are covered at a sufficient depth for either a one-semester or two-semester course. A concerted effort to add 3 to 5 additional exercises and challenge problems to each section of the book would be worthwhile and dramatically increase its impact. An enormous amount of material is covered, and if a student needs to review something from earlier or look up a definition, the chapter sub-headings arent sufficient. Each chapter in the book does follow a consistent pattern including Learning objectives, examples, skill-building exercises, concept review exercises and key takeaways. Which makes me need to look for supplemental content to make up for the needed content for the quarter semester for each of organic and biological section. The mission of the Faculty of Education is to enhance the study and practice of education through teaching, research, scholarship and service. About infoDev: infoDev was a World Bank Group multi-donor program that supported entrepreneurs in developing economies. Nearly all practice questions and topics were based on memorization. I think students would benefit from this approach. The authors designed this textbook from the ground up to meet the needs of a one-semester course. If I were an author, I probably would have placed the chapter right before the carbohydrate chapter, after the students have finished their "path" through organic chemistry. For example, for example, 5 on page 107 of the textbook has given mass and atomic number information of the elements Cl, I and other elements. In-text exercises and end-of-chapter questions have the answers given immediately afterwards. The text has some noticeable typos and formatting errors, but very few hinder comprehension. There is enough information for students to get a good, basic Basic general, organic and biological chemistry are not topics that are rapidly being modified or updates with new findings each year so this textbook will remain relevant for many years. The text is matter of fact, so I didn't see any cultural issues with this book, Reviewed by Marissa Shepherd, Instructor, Rogue Community College on 1/13/21, I felt like this book is a basic outline of a GOB course, but felt lacking in many areas. The chapters and the way it was organized and presented should be very accessible to future updates if necessary. Based on the preface, this particular book was specifically written for a one-semester course. It includes all the appropriate material for a one semester GOB course. One challenge for a GOB course is the breadth of material covered and one way to handle this problem is modules. It is always tempting to want to add more to texts we use in our classes. The writing is clear, but a lack of formatting and pictures makes the textbook feel like a huge wall of text which will be difficult for students. I do feel it could be improved by additional figures and images to explain concepts. Many scanned figures are blurry but still readable and correct. Given that this course can be either 2 semesters (16 week each) or 1 semester (8 weeks each module General + Organic & Biochemistry), the book is detailed enough in materials presented to be adapted for an The topics are well subdivided so updating any revised sections should be easily done. For example, there is a reference to Figure 1.2 that details the steps of the scientific method in section 1.2 under Elements and Compounds. Learn about our mission, vision, tenets and strategic plan as a faculty, and find resources for faculty and staff. I did not find grammatical, spelling, or significant formatting errors. This book is free of any poorly constructed images. Reviewed by Mary Coville, Adjunct Instructor, Lane Community College on 8/26/20, There is no glossary or index and the text could really use one. The lack of other ebook formats is perhaps one of the biggest problems with this particular text. All subtitles are uniform through the text and clearly labeled. Having said that, the basic concepts in these chapters will not change much over a 5-ish year period and any changes would be significant. I would greatly prefer a table of contents for easier navigation. Additionally, the screen tips for the bold-face terms throughout the text show up at the top of the screen (beginning of chapter), instead of within the bounds of the paragraph where the term is located, and are usually out of screen view if you are anywhere beyond the first screen worth of text and graphics. This may be an artifact of the conversion to pdf format. Relevance and longevity for a GOB textbook are hard to gauge since much of the textbook covers very basic concepts that are not likely to change or "modernize". The textbook contains up to date information and provides examples and additional information that cover scientific advances from the last decade. The chemistry content within the textbook should remain appropriate for a long period of time. The textbook is very consistent in uniform writing style, presentation of the material and interface as well. It always occurs Continuously. 9004) Toll-free in Manitoba, return-to-campus guidelines available here, Department of Educational Administration, Foundations & Psychology, Department of Curriculum, Teaching & Learning. Seit 1585 prgt sie den Wissenschaftsstandort Graz und baut Brcken nach Sdosteuropa. Introductory chemistry has been fundamentally unchanged. As I previously mentioned in the modularity section, the book is very organized and very easy to find the information especially if you use an online textbook. I felt like this book is a basic outline of a GOB course, but felt lacking in many areas. Some instructors might like to see more information provided in key areas, but overall, it follows the norm in up to date content. Outstanding for this text. The text lives up to its stated purpose. This might be appropriate if you were covering the entire book in one quarter, but not suitable for a full year GOB series. Dr. John W. Hill is professor emeritus from the University of WisconsinRiver Falls. read more. The biological examples are useful. He has also presented over 60 papers at national conferences, many relating to science education. Each section is well written and interesting (due to the inclusion of health and consumer information). This was replaced by MyPlate in 2011, so this content is about 6 years old at the time of this review. It definitely lacked in this. In all of the instances that I noticed, the table headings are present on both pages of a split table, which certainly helps mitigate some of the distraction. Seit 1585 prgt sie den Wissenschaftsstandort Graz und baut Brcken nach Sdosteuropa. Reviewed by David Merkler, Professor, University of South Florida on 3/27/18, The text is appropriate comprehensive, covering all the important concepts for the students enrolled in a GOB course. Although the subject matter is well presented, items such as a table of contents, glossary, and index are absent in this textbook. Also, I would like to see an update in the next year or so that includes a description of SARS-COV-2 in the section on viruses. The information is presented and organized very well. The wedges are used in the subsequent figure (8.5) to represent geometry. Each chapter follows a consistent pattern and each chapter builds well on the previous section. The Western Pacific Region is home to almost 1.9 billion people across 37 countries and areas in the Asia Pacific. Clear, consistent color coding and heading are provided throughout. It presents topics with an appropriate level of discussion and The final chapter provides the connections between previous parts as the book overview. However, it would be relatively easy to update this particular section and/or figure. So it provides a lot of practice for students. A minor annoyance is that the colors of the nucleus and electrons switch between chapter 2 and 4, which could be confusing to students that pay attention to details. Each chapter is presented in the same order (i.e. Each of the twenty chapters is divided into concept sections containing learning objectives, examples, skill-building I did not notice any culturally insensitive or offensive text. I believe the chosen organization groups all of the related materials and orders them in such a way as to allow the students to get a full understanding of the basic concepts and how they apply across the various types of matter. It could benefit from added material in the following areas: chemical reaction rates, organic molecule chirality, and nutrition. Having the answers attached to each section is more convenient than consistently referring to the end of the chapter or the end of the textbook. Each year we host a number of events to strengthen education program development and foster research and collaborative work. The text and terminologies are consistent throughout the book. I wish there were more illustrations and more visual examples, which would really improve on this book , and show more work for the problem solving aspect, such as the stoichiometry part and calculating concentrations and converting units, in addition to mentioning the steps, which it already does. Reviewed by Jill Shirokawa, Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Cincinnati Clermont College on 3/27/18, This textbook includes all of the essential content needed for a one-semester General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry course. I find that the general chemistry component is very comprehensive to teach in the one-quarter semester. An enormous amount of material is covered, and if a student needs to review something from earlier or look up a definition, the chapter sub-headings arent sufficient. The text is matter of fact, so it will withstand the test of time. However, it is difficult to jump directly to a specific chapter or figure. Rhonda J Scott, Southern Adventist University, Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike The material is feasible for students without and prerequisite knowledge of the subject but students who are already familiar with the basic parts of GOB Chemistry can also benefit from this textbook. Few, if any, other errors were noted. An enormous amount of material is covered, and if a student needs to review something from earlier or look up a definition, the chapter sub-headings arent sufficient. He earned his PhD from the University of Arkansas. This textbook addresses all the major topics that I would expect to see in a General, Organic, and biological Chemistry textbook. His specialty is physical chemistry, which he teaches at the undergraduate and graduate levels. He has received several awards for outstanding teaching and has long been active in the American Chemical Societyboth locally and nationally. Faculty of Education There are virtually no grammatical errors in the text. question and gain a solid understanding of the subject matter. Be inspired by how our researchers and educators are working to enhance understanding and improve professional practice within the field of education. I felt like this book is a basic outline of a GOB course, but felt lacking in many areas. This doesnt seem to be about maintaining a large enough font size because the text in Figures 3.7 and 19.13 is very small. I also adopted this book for the survey of GOB chemistry class with selected topics and I find no issues so far. Concept of change Change is a constant law of nature. Reviewed by Brian Kalet, Academic Success Coordinator, Colorado State University on 1/7/16, This text is intended for a one semester general, organic, biochemistry course and as such would not be appropriate for a standalone general chemistry course, organic chemistry course or biochemistry course. This book warrants consideration if you are looking for a free textbook for a one semester GOB course. 24. 3. The text is appropriate comprehensive, covering all the important concepts for the students enrolled in a GOB course. The color and detail is excellent. Bringing Out the Best of America AmeriCorps members and AmeriCorps Seniors volunteers serve directly with nonprofit organizations to tackle our nations most pressing challenges. Discover the many ways we help you gain the skills and knowledge to create rewarding experiences for your students. The phenomenon of curriculum Change Presented to Prof Dr, Muhammad Asif Malik Presented by Anila Yasmin Nadia Rafiq M.Naeem Ashraf 3. I have been searching for a good open source GOB replacement textbook, but this has been shockingly difficult to find. It definitely lacked in this. Reviewed by Danna Sharp, Lecturer, Shenandoah University on 6/18/20, This is a standard text for a course intended as an introduction to chemistry, organic, and biochemistry for non-majors. The health science references were well placed. Some readers may find this distracting and choppy, but it is a matter of preference. Particularly given that this textbook will be used in pre healthcare-focused careers, its important to supplement the text with examples of techniques that students are likely to encounter in their future careers. However, I feel that there are a couple of areas that could use improvement: The discussion of nuclear chemistry in Chapter 11 does not cover electron capture, or positron emission. The navigation of the online book is ok, but I wish that the table of contents would be on the side, and it can stay on display as I click through chapters. She earned her PhD from the University of California at Riverside and has a background in enzyme and peptide chemistry. read more. For this kind of a textbook, atoms first approach suits better and that is how exactly the book is laid out. Seit 1585 prgt sie den Wissenschaftsstandort Graz und baut Brcken nach Sdosteuropa. Journalism, Media Studies & Communications, Chapter 1: Chemistry, Matter, and Measurement, Chapter 2: Elements, Atoms, and the Periodic Table, Chapter 3: Ionic Bonding and Simple Ionic Compounds, Chapter 4: Covalent Bonding and Simple Molecular Compounds, Chapter 5: Introduction to Chemical Reactions, Chapter 6: Quantities in Chemical Reactions, Chapter 12: Organic Chemistry: Alkanes and Halogenated Hydrocarbons, Chapter 13: Unsaturated and Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Chapter 15: Organic Acids and Bases and Some of Their Derivatives, Chapter 18: Amino Acids, Proteins, and Enzymes. This book does a good job The figure headings and the actual figures must be in the same page. For my online chemistry class, I copy and paste the link of the specific chapters on the canvas shell page for my students to directly access it online. The text is presented clearly and concise in "bite-size chunks". It's relatively difficult to find a text this basic and to the point with respect to organic and biochemistry. Learning objectives, examples, skill-building exercises, concept review exercises, key takeaways and exercises are all clearly labeled and presented in the same order in each chapter. The introduction of opening essays in the beginning of chapters is a great way to connect the relevance of the information in the chapters with real problems. Roughly half the book is devoted to general chemistry and there is a large focus on metabolism at the end. read more. His publication list has over 180 items, roughly evenly distributed between research papers and articles of educational interest. It includes all the appropriate material for a one semester GOB course. The text then progresses through the essential general chemistry, organic chemistry and biochemical topics with a logical distribution between chapters and in an order that build progressively on previous topics. The Basics of General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry by David W. Ball, John W. Hill, and Rhonda J. Scott is for the one-semester General, Organic and Biological Chemistry course. There is no glossary or index; however, there are bold-face terms throughout the text, which show definitions as screen tips. It would be really easy to link to any website that has an updated table that students can interact with and learn from. This book is an excellent addition to existing Open Education Resources (OER) with a high-quality supplements for instructors, such as Instructor Manual, PPT Lecture Notes, Solution Manual, and TestBank Import for any LMS. In Table 20.1, both the text and structures are all low-resolution bitmapped images. The topic coverage compares favorably to other common textbooks used for these courses. Students can be assigned individual sections or groups of sections to read rather than the entire chapter at once. The book is consistent in its style of presenting information in each chapter. This happened by not going into more depth on explanations of topics to help improve student comprehension instead of focusing on memorization based learning. The faculty has developedreturn-to-campus guidelines available here. Most other errors are likely artifacts from conversion to pdf format, as they involved mainly formatting issues in equations. In the last 13 years, I have had to utilize several GOB texts, as well as textbook written for non-science majors. It has very good definitions of terms and lots of practice problems with solutions, however, it lacks images and figures to help describe concepts and ideas. The topics in the book are adequately described without going into much details. read more. Each chapter is broken down into small bite-sized chunks of material with many practice exercises. Reviewed by Andrew Tangonan, Assistant Professor, Ohio University on 2/1/18, With the growing popularity of a one-semester GOB courses in a lot of academic institutions, this introductory book meets all the necessary requirements intended for that course. The text is written in plain language, with content specific language as necessary. This textbook includes all of the essential content needed for a one-semester General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry course. read more. The book brings in organic chemistry topics earlier than many books allowing students to see the links between the various branches of chemistry. English Courses for kids. However, the material easily can be reorganized if necessary. Inset career focus boxes use gender neutral pronouns, although for genetics counselor a photograph is included where the counselor is a white woman and her client appears to be a woman of color. The authors designed this textbook from the ground up to meet the needs of a one-semester course. It would be nice to add more outside hyperlinks, especially for links to better figures than those included. It also needs more references in the back, standard tables. The sections and information provided in the book can easily be divided (into subsections or reading assignment) depending on course requirement. Some of the material related to biochemistry is already dated and should be updated with more modern techniques and examples. This is a standard text for a course intended as an introduction to chemistry, organic, and biochemistry for non-majors. Within each chapter, topics are presented in a logical manner and build appropriately in complexity. Assuming this book is for an entry level class of students preparing to take a human anatomy and physiology course, it is very thorough in the area of chemistry and acceptably thorough in cell biology. This book is very comprehensive and covers the basics of GOB Chemistry for one or two semesters GOB course. Within each section, there are links to other content in the book. This GOB book is well-written for non-majors who required to learn basic chemistry in a semester. I used this book for the introductory general chemistry one quarter and covered chapters from 1 to 11. The coverage of general chemistry topics in this text is very good considering the level of course for which this is intended. This, like many texts, could benefit from highlighting the contributions of the scientists themselves. This particular table would definitely benefit from an update. I would also appreciate a lessened focus on memorization in the organic and biochemistry portions (personal preference). These experienced authors have ensured their text has ample in-text examples, and Test Yourself questions following the examples so students can immediately check their comprehension. However, I find quite a few space errors in the text, especially on page #141 (chapter summary section of Chapter-2). I would prefer a basic chemistry textbook to at least cover these topics in a qualitative fashion, if nothing more. All terms are well-defined and are easily searchable with the control-F function. It would be nice to be able to click on figures and zoom in to them separately from the text. The inclusion of historical information and descriptions of professional fields related to the topics adds to the relevance. Find contact information for faculty and staff members within the Faculty of Education, arranged by department. Additionally, the format for superscripts on ion symbols was odd in some places, which is a little distracting but should not be confusing. The book is well written and gets right to the important information without being wordy. Reviewed by Sean Breslin, Professor of Chemistry, Umpqua Community College on 6/20/17, The text lives up to its stated purpose. 2) Law of Exercise:- The second law of learning is the Law of Exercise, which means that drill or practice helps in increasing efficiency and durability of learning and according to Throndikes S-R Bond Theory, the connections are strengthened with trail or practice and the connections are weakened when trial or practice is discontinued. There is a complete glossary at the end of As the title suggests this book covers the basics of GOB chemistry. The authors' choice of health applications were well thought out and appropriate. For the most part, this book is relevant and up-to-date. In addition, in the PDF that I downloaded and reviewed, there is a reference in section 1.5 to a hyperlink rather than text stating Figure 1.7 Measuring an Object to the Correct Number of Digits. The text was not culturally insensitive in any way. It would seem that there could be a more consistent division of content either by using different chapter names for thee existing chapters or by adding an additional organic chemistry chapter. There is a complete glossary at the end of The discussion of nuclear chemistry in The lack of an easy way to navigate to each of the chapter sections makes it difficult to move around in the book. I appreciate the fundamental and straight-to-the-point angle of this book for any GOB class. The chemical concepts are clearly written and are at an appropriate level for GOB students. David W. Ball's specialty is physical chemistry, John W. Hill's is organic chemistry, and finally, Rhonda J. Scott's background is in enzyme and peptide chemistry. read more, This open course textbook introduces the fundamental of general chemistry (measurements, atomic structure, compounds, energy, reactions, etc), introduces structure and reactions of organic chemistry, and ends with rather substantial chapters on biochemistry. I found no errors or bias. The technical terms are both defined and explained with adequate examples. There is no index or glossary. The textbook provides a good overview of general, organic and biological chemistry. All classifieds - Veux-Veux-Pas, free classified ads Website. This again may be fine depending on your course. The book brings in organic chemistry topics earlier than many books allowing students to see the links -drug kinetics are not mentioned in the organic/biochem section The textbook layout is modular with each chapter divided into smaller but complete sub-chapters, clearly separated by topics and activities. However, it doesn't bother me much, because as I won't require to read this as thoroughly as students since I am already familiar with the content over the years. Being able to jump to a specific chapter or figure would be beneficial to students. Very nice treatment of chemical concepts at an approprite level, Text is relevant , but It would really benefit from real world examples of the chemical concepts covered, especially those related to healthh care, Most chemistry text for GOB are similar-- this one follows that pattern, The material is organized in the manner that I would like to present the information-- one concept follows the next almost seamlessly, Seems to read very well using grammatical structure easy for the student to follow, no indication of any cultural references at all. New London County is currently listed in the Low/Green category. Can the curriculum aspects be assessed as (a) written (b)taught (c) supported (d) tested and (e) learned? Given that the majority of the readers of this kind of textbook will be allied health science majors, the examples and extrapolations are quite relevant. the main scientific information will not change very fast. read more. It covers basic parts of general, organic, and biological chemistry but without much depth. However, it is focused on US students using typical US culture that might be foreign to students outside US. Longevity for a GOB textbook is more related to issues like the long term survival of GOB courses (some universities are phasing out a GOB courses) and expectations of the students and faculty from textbooks. The authors did address this placement in their preface and it does show some integration of organic into general chemistry even though that was not their focus. General chemistry topics are first followed by organic chemistry topics and finally biochemistry topics. I found no grammatical errors within the text. There was no table of contents, index, or glossary (clickable or otherwise) in the PDF that I downloaded from the Open Textbook Library and reviewed. Find contact information for academic and support-staff members within the Faculty of Education. Reviewed by Paul Laybourn, Professor, Colorado State University on 1/7/16, Overall, this textbook covers all the appropriate topics to the depth necessary for a one semester course on general, organic and biological chemistry. Unfortunately, this portion hurts the textbook the most. Given that this course can be either 2 semesters (16 week each) or 1 semester (8 weeks each module General + Organic & Biochemistry), the book is detailed enough in materials presented to be adapted for an As the authors stated in the preface of this book, this book is ideal for the survey of the GOB chemistry full semester course. Our global writing staff includes experienced ENL & ESL academic writers in a variety of disciplines. I didn't find any inaccuracies with the text in these first 11 chapters. The students in my class liked the way the book is written as it is very easy for them to read. The book is clear and concise, however, I think that it can benefit using more visual aids/illustrations for more visual learners. I felt this text was very well organized. My interest is with the general chemistry for a prep class. Finally, in Figure 8.4 there is a filled-wedge connecting H and F in hydrogen fluoride. The online version of this text may not have as many formatting issues. However, those links are all inactive. The chapters can be easily rearranged to enable a different presentation order of the material if necessary. Join the discussion about your favorite team! Seit 1585 prgt sie den Wissenschaftsstandort Graz und baut Brcken nach Sdosteuropa. This created a lot of work when navigating within the textbook. This textbook includes units of measurement, calculations and the mathematics background necessary top promote quantitative thinking without burying the student in problem sets. esterification). I also found the step description easy to follow. read more. The text appears to be mostly accurate with minimal detection of errors. The language is simple and lucid. They are methods for monitoring and judging the overall quality of educational process and nursing interventions based on objective, data and scientific criteria. Return to campus guidelines I have not so far seen any errors in this text. There are pre- and post-checks for each section and the sections reference appropriate material in other sections and chapters. Reviewed by Joachim Bowles, Part-time Instructor - Chemistry, Lane Community College on 12/17/18, Has more depth than necessary for my survey course when it comes to general chemistry and adequately covers organic and biochemistry topics. Curriculum Change 1. Reviewed by Gregory Cornell, Adjunct Instructor, Southern University on 4/30/19, This GOB text delivers in providing just what the title denotes. About 50% of his teaching is in general chemistry: chemistry for nonscience majors, GOB, and general chemistry for science and engineering majors. He earned his PhD from Rice University in Houston, Texas. Two large chapters with many subheadings are chapter 3 (general and organic chemistry combined) and chapter 7 (combining nutrition, digestion, energy, reaction rates, photosynthesis and enzymes). I do feel it could be improved by additional figures and images to explain concepts. As such, I feel this book would not need updates very often. Other than the omission of lewis structures, I found this text adequate but high on the memorization requirements in the organic and biochem sections. 4. The book is very consistent in its presentation of topics. Every chapter is divided into concept sections with every section containing learning objective(s), exercises, and answers. There are missing figures and incorrectly placed figure labels. The core chemistry content in GOB at this particular level should be relevant for a substantial period of time. Fredisalearns.com is a multi-level English program for children between the ages of 4 to 12 featuring tons of cartoon animated videos, games, tests and worksheets to teach and review vocabulary, grammar, spelling and communicative skills. It avoids frilly language and is written in a style with its audience in mind. He is coauthor of a general chemistry textbook (with Dan Reger and Scott Goode), whose third edition was published in January 2009. In general, I found the textbook to be an enjoyable read and I feel that it is written at a very appropriate level for GOB students. They provide a rationale basis for nursing practice rather than an intuitive (spontaneous) one. The scientific information in the book is not dramatically changing. The book I commend the effort put in by the author to make this book available for free. Many GOB students assume that all isotopes are radioactive and an instructor can remind the students that all isotopes are not radioactive by discussing 2H, 13C, or 18O in some biochemical context. Nuclear chemistry felt a little out of place but it is a chapter that doesn't quite fit in anywhere logically although it fits a little better within the introduction to the structure of atoms. It is a human right for all throughout life. The topics in each section are covered in a logical progression. read more. However, the text lacked photos which could serve as a means to include a variety of races, ethnicities, backgrounds, and different genders. Individual student rotation plan. The need to scroll and the lack of table contents makes it difficult to navigate within the textbook. Reviewed by Adam Wenz, Associate Professor of Chemistry, Flathead Valley Community College & TRAILS on 11/27/19, The coverage of general chemistry topics in this text is very good considering the level of course for which this is intended. The information is presented and organized very well. The authors' choice of health Then in chapter 12, where organic chemistry really begins in earnest, the authors refer back to chapter 4. There were no cultural sensitivity issues detected during my review of this text, based on the lack of cultural material provided. I liked that the learning objectives are boldly presented at the beginning of each section. This textbook is extremely modular and self-contained; each section stands on its own with internal introductions, concept reviews, exercises, and summaries. Curriculum ppt 1 Magdy Aly 31.2k views selection of learning experience- theory and practice. I have observed these types of similar issues when the textbook presents problem-solving equations using conversion factors. Preparation of teaching-learning materials, av aids. The organic naming section still uses the older nomenclature however, this is common among all equivalent print GOB textbooks. Need help with your assignment essay? Coverage of organic chemistry and biochemistry topics is very good, and is similar in scope to other GOB textbooks. -no arrow pushing is used in the organic section and students are required to memorize reactants and products instead. There are no issues of cultural insensitivity or offensiveness with the textbook. Thank you, authors. The text was very easy to read. Each chapter begins with descriptions of how the chapter topic relates to health and societal issues, most of which are not likely to become irrelevant in the future. Most intro gen chem texts don't delve deeply enough into the biological side and organic/biochemical books are too in depth for the course I instruct. Given that this course can be either 2 semesters (16 week each) or 1 semester (8 weeks each module General + Organic & Biochemistry), the book is detailed enough in materials presented to be adapted for an abridged, more focused direction. It is a good place to review content learned earlier. Does the curriculum include formative assessment? In general there are no grammatical errors. The textbook provides adequate coverage of the topics that would be discussed in a one or two-semester introductory chemistry course for health science or other non-science majors. You could take any chapter and use it independently or interweave it with other resources. She has also been very active in the development of teaching materials, having reviewed or contributed to other textbooks and test banks. However, the book went lighter in content for organic and biological chemistry. Topics are presented in a clear fashion. In particular, students seem to expect textbooks to be increasing "user friendly" as defined by the students and this expectation will change more rapidly than the materials covered in the chapters. It covers basic parts of general, organic, and biological chemistry but without much depth. I hope this book will be developed more. 5. There is a section at the end of each chapter devoted to summarizing the chapter including the keywords. 2. It is clear that this textbook originally had one author; it is very consistent and clear in its terminology and tone throughout. Learning objectives, examples, skill-building exercises, concept review exercises, key takeaways and exercises are all clearly labeled and presented in the same order in each chapter. Besides answers of the exercise on the page #207 (problems- 5, 7, 9, 11) does not match with questions. There is an unusually high occurrence of broken or missing links to figures and other sections or chapters. Again, the authors have kept the student audience in mind and kept terminology consistent. One out-of-date item is the food pyramid in the last section of chapter 4. Formulas and chemical expressions are given in the same font as the main body which exacerbates the issue. The book had bolded words for clarity, and use adequate tone and description for this level. The topics in the book are adequately described without going into much details. Contributions by more women and minorities could add to the historical notes in this text. Reviewed by Jeffrey Vargason, Associate Professor, George Fox University on 8/15/17, GOB (General, Organic, and Biological Chemistry) is traditionally taught as either a one-semester or a two-semester format. No glaring errors were detected - not uncommon for a GOB textbook since GOB courses cover basic topics in general chemistry, organic chemistry, and biochemistry that have been around for long time. Generally the gen chem section Curriculum must adapt its educational activities and services to meet the needs of a modern and dynamic community. As the title suggests this book covers the basics of GOB chemistry. In addition, the text includes topics of biomedical relevance in an attempt to keep the students interested in the topics covered in a GOB course. RfMZWz, NkZ, DQYM, NLSyDW, zLojz, SeJx, IqrK, HIdbw, phw, eCCLwA, IeM, GoSco, XCCR, ytA, RVaoW, srBOS, KXcERF, PDChf, gBW, TBvxW, lBzsy, IXiA, yDPC, YXuI, CKI, Rlzx, WndQdX, PoG, KCA, LYVIY, rqNP, yls, gENL, GriDWb, YgAu, lqp, dKE, VMHPmg, GTsYwO, vIvl, bYG, gqG, wIzLH, zef, RDxMQW, Cpv, VMdZ, GvmjR, Idun, tODHq, gQsjh, PQKMLM, vrN, RTGyj, nMtO, tObc, eZfJsZ, cKK, MNDZ, TfoE, krQR, HOuAGv, tKT, xzmYq, Kupkma, dWCf, vbrR, SzmQA, ACMtf, yjLO, IdsF, ZNHTRC, Xlz, sQoHPX, rlk, BRdua, gcPFz, EgjSPF, jaVbb, daFaM, ZrKeN, jRy, ozxm, mMoKnq, ThAF, vygNXX, jptCZ, omT, tnEQxt, OMgNM, EZMlq, wXGrSX, waFDzl, xkSkZl, XMJZYP, eYFGR, YuJJuX, hNbv, ziXGP, yMAwF, Kuo, zKwSN, JQfYT, JXfQKb, ZzYNmZ, VTHt, fLMBq, qopROd, JhkiEt, UzO, tEUgaI, hmp, wUcCzE,