Or, continue to boil down the water. I'm a personal chef, wife and mama of two young boys. All the best, Kaitlin. I love that there are not a lot of ingredients, it is easy to make, and yet it is very tasty! Allow soup to cool slightly and serve with herbs and parmesan cheese. Stir in potato, lentils, garlic, parsley, fennel greens, salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, and turmeric. Taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste. loved it so much!!! When stirring the soup while the potatoes and lentils are cooking, be sure to use your wooden spoon to press down any potato cubes that may have risen to the surface to ensure all the potatoes cook in the liquid. I made it last night for dinner and my husband and son loved it. Add lentils and Course Soup Cuisine American, International, Vegan Servings 4 Calories 218 kcal Ingredients 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 onion chopped 4 medium carrots coarsely grated cup (140g) dried red lentils uncooked 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock/broth cup (100ml) milk or dairy free vegan milk 1 teaspoon ground cumin To serve (optional) Let's keep it short and sweet: lentils rock.They are easy to cook, and filled with nutrients, protein and fiber. If needed, turn the heat down to avoid burning the spices. Sometimes Ill add some shaved Parmesan but really the soup is delicious on its own. Thanks so much for giving the recipes a try. What I love even more: sharing them with you! How to organize your refrigerator to keep your ingredients fresh and healthy. Or, for more protein, you can enjoy a cup of the soup paired with a serving of grilled fish or chicken breast. It sounds like you were able to make it work based on what you had in the house and also tweaked it to your tastes, which is why I love soup recipes, they are so flexible! Deselect All. Pour 4 cups of water on top. When the potatoes and lentils are tender, turn off the burner. I use a "no-oil saut method". Then, pour the cubed potatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, and water into the pot. Serve warm. Rinse and drain the lentils, set aside. I cant believe how quick and easy this was! Add potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and dried thyme & parsley. If too much liquid is evaporating during cooking, go ahead and add more broth or stock as needed. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Welcome to my kitchen! I will definitely make this again and again!" High Altitude Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies, 2022 Mountain Mama Cooks. A light, healthy and satisfying lentil and quinoa soup with plenty of bright lemon-y goodness!Ingredients:1 tablespoon oil1 onion, diced (~1 cup)2 carrots, diced (~1 cup)2 stalks celery, diced (~1 cup)2 cloves garlic, chopped (~1 tablespoon)1 tablespoon ginger, grated1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground1 teaspoon coriander, toasted and ground1 teaspoon So flavorful and full of veggies. Did exactly as the recipe called except adding spinach. It is absolutely wonderful! If needed, make sure to turn the heat down to prevent the spices from burning. Lentil Potato Soup Potato Soup Recipe Chicken Lentil Soup Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-35 minutes, until the lentils are Here you will find simple, comforting recipes that the whole family will enjoy. I like to do this by spreading a handful of lentils out on my hand, checking for anything that needs to be removed, and then placing the clean handful of lentils into a second bowl. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring, to prevent garlic from burning. This soup was amazing!! Reduce to a simmer, cover with a lid and simmer for about 30 minutes. The type of lentil you choose can drastically change the dish you are making. My son says its his new favorite soup! Once softened, add in your garlic and ginger and saut until fragrant. Step 3 - Add the red lentils, vegetable stock, lemon zest, and all the spices. I didn't have spinach, but we didn't miss it at all. So great to hear that, Lisa! Serves 5-6 Author Notes An amazing Italian soup, filled with chick peas (garbanzo beans) carrots, celery and wonderful spices. Here is a great article that talks more about waxy potatoes.In addition to waxy potatoes, you can also use yellow potatoes here (similar types may be labeled as Yukon gold or gold potatoes). Easy, quick to make and delicious! Hi, I'm Kaitlin!I share vegan recipes that are easy & healthy. Meanwhile, mince garlic and dice potato. - Dana, "So good! ).Because their flesh stays more intact after cooking, waxy potatoes work well in soups like this where the chunks are meant to be separate (as opposed to a blended soup for example). Waxy potatoes are also thin-skinned, meaning you don't have to peel them before adding to the soup (unless you prefer to). If you don't mind that, then go ahead and freeze the soup in airtight sealed food storage containers, leaving enough room at the top for the liquid to expand as it freezes. Kosher salt is coarse grained; if you want to substitute fine grain salt, start with only teaspoon, taste the finished soup, and add more if desired. While my Mediterranean spiced lentil soup has a tomato-based broth that focuses on the flavor of paprika and Italian spices, this easy lentil potato soup has a milder, yet very aromatic flavor. Required fields are marked *. It will be a beautiful thing. I love to serve this with a good crusty bread and a glass of wine. Stir it around with the spices and onion to incorporate the paste. I also added a can of whole tomatoes and dash of balsamic vinegar!! Amazing! Thanks! Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium high heat. mushrooms (I use cremini) 1 medium potato (about 1.5 cups diced) 3-4 cloves garlic 5 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth + 1 To serve alongside the soup, try a loaf of crusty bread, crackers, or breadsticks for dipping. And completely agree with the leftovers. See our fullnutrition disclosure policy. The fiber from the lentil and potatoes is perfect for keeping you full. Add diced onion and carrots Easy Lentil Potato Soup Recipe quick and simple to make, chunky, hearty and comforting meal, perfect for the cold weather. Really yummy soup thats perfect for a crisp, cozy night! I only used onion in this soup in an effort to keep the ingredients list manageable. 5. This is a great pantry dinner recipe that you can make in only 1 hour! Freezing soup in whole batches doesnt work for me. Keywords: lentil potato soup, lentil soup, Tag @nibbleanddine on Instagram and hashtag it #nibbleanddine, Your email address will not be published. I think green lentils work the best in this recipe. Its heaven. Stir to combine, make sure the Add 5 cups broth, tomatoes with juice, and lentils (rinsed and drained). Make sure not to cut the potatoes much smaller than this. Rapunzel is my absolute favorite as its not too salty and its got great flavor. Made this last night and it was delicious! Add garlic, potatoes, cumin, and paprika to pot. I love using them in stews or pasta sauce. I just made this soup! Add potatoes and red lentils and stir to coat. Instructions Soak lentils in water (double the quantity) for 1 hour or more. 2 Comments. water/broth for no-oil-saut method.). Hi Vicky! Let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes at low heat. Im pretty sure there was never a soup that was better tasting the day it was made. I added celery and carrots because I always use these vegetables in lentil soup. Hi Miriam! Add tomatoes, bay leaf, salt and pepper and stir well. Winter Root Vegetable Soup I love to serve this hearty lentil and potato soup for a quick and healthy lunch. This lentil potato soup is the ultimate cozy comfort food! This hearty lentil and potato soup is easy to make and ready in only about 1 hour! At the end added one more cup of water as I wanted it a little more soupy. You can certainly microwave the soup but I prefer to reheat gently on the stove top. When you think the potatoes and lentils are tender, you can test one of the potatoes by piercing it with a fork. There are over 7 different types of lentils and all of them have different tastes and textures. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 - 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and just beginning to brown. How to use your close to old vegetables to make a delicious soup. If the soup is too thick, add more water or vegetable broth. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. This looks delicious! That's great! Your email address will not be published. Again, if needed you can reduce the heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Add potatoes. This is going to be on repeat in my house throughout the fall and winter! Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything well and bring it to a boil. Thank you for the recipe! There are two main types of potatoes - waxy and floury. This recipe is all about layering and building on flavor. Then, use an immersion blender to partially blend the soup (optional). 9. More. Add the lentils, salt, turmeric, ginger, and vegetable stock. Im always preaching that using quality ingredients yields the best finished dishes and this especially rings true when youre making a recipe as simple as this one. French lentils can be a great substitute as they hold their shape well so feel free to use those if you'd like. Cook for 1 minute. Black lentils second, and red last. Taste the soup and add more salt and pepper if needed. Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheese Tortellini Otherwise, they may break apart in the soup before the lentils are done cooking. ); cilantro or parsley leaves, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, a sprinkle of cracked black pepper, and/or a wedge of lemon. If you like, you can also use green lentils; they have a very similar texture and cook time as brown lentils. Do the lentils require longer cooking at high altitude (7000 ft)? An Italian in my kitchen Some examples of waxy potatoes include red potatoes, new potatoes, and fingerlings. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. The heartiness of the green lentil is the perfect contrast to the soft potato in this soup. vegetable broth or water, adding more as needed. Cover and bring to a boil. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. And I love your IG! Next, add in the potatoes, lentils, the entire can of diced tomatoes (do not drain), and 6 cups of the broth/stock. Site by spigot-circle| Privacy. Then cover the pot and reduce to a simmer. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); I'm Beri, the one behind the recipes you can find on Bites of Beri. So if you want to cook with lentils and make soup, try this lentil potato soup. Stovetop Instructions Heat a thick Dont use old lentils. And there are more great things I love about this recipe. Slice mushrooms. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Let the soup simmer for about 30 - 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Saut until translucent, about five minutes. Spices like curry powder, paprika powder, and ground cumin, combined with tomato paste and bay leaves give this soup tons of flavor and make it super delicious! Your email address will not be published. To store longer, transfer to a freezer safer container and freeze for up to 3 months. Saut the carrots and potatoes for 4 minutes at medium heat. Saut for 1 more minute. Lentil Potato soup has depth, is rich in flavor, and a big ol bowl on a cold wintery day couldnt be more satisfying! - Mandy. Step 2 - Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 1 more minute. It's packed with legumes and vegetables so it's a great addition to your meal prep routine. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes and lentils are tender. Cut them into about 1 inch chunks. Add minced garlic, dried thyme plus a healthy pinch of kosher salt. Looking forward to trying out this recipe. You can also serve it with a green side salad or a side of steamed or sauted veggies. Not sure why it took so long for the lentils to get soft. In a stockpot over medium-high heat, saut onion for 5 minutes. Stir and saut 1 minute. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This soup is excellent. I am sure you will enjoy browsing through my space in the internet that is all about healthy and tasty foods. But thats ok, these was the tastiest I have had. Salt/pepper to taste or add more tamari. Now, add in the tomato paste. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. I just tried this in the crock pot! 2. Your email address will not be published. Stir the soup and give it a taste again. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice. stew. , Your email address will not be published. Photo: Iris Lange-Fricke. At this point, you can add more lemon (or vinegar), salt, and/or pepper if you think the soup needs it. Dice bread slices on the side. . Hi, thanks for posting this. If the liquid in the soup is evaporating too quickly during cooking, add more broth or stock as needed. Step 4 - Simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes until the lentils are cooked soft. This soup is really yummy and filling! You can also taste the lentils to make sure they are nice and soft (just be careful not to burn your mouth!). Continue to work in batches until all the lentils have been picked through. Saut until translucent, about five minutes. Here is how you best store this soup: There is nothing better than having soup on a freezing cold day! French, brown, and red lentils are all slightly different varieties. Absolutely the best lentil soup I have made yet. The soup is seasoned with cumin, smoked paprika, and lemon. Once boiling, add lentils (rinsed). Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan. Nowadays you can find sweet potatoes in almost every grocery store. Most often I use cremini or white button but any mushrooms would be lovely, I think. Yellow and orange lentils can turn very mushy when cooked so they are not ideal for this style of soup. But I sometimes love to serve some extra sides. Far from being meat free, its just a small effort to eat less meat and more plant based meals. 1 small potato peeled and cubed 1 small sweet potato peeled and cubed Salt as per taste 1 tablespoon lemon juice For lentil and quinoa soup cup quinoa replace cup lentils with cup quinoa, wash quinoa and use directly. Brown lentils are the easiest to find though I prefer the green lentils as they have a nice peppery bite to them. Easy Lentil Potato Soup Recipe quick and simple to make, chunky, hearty and comforting meal, perfect for the cold weather. Nutritious lentils, rich in protein and fiber, combi More cooking lsl 118k followers More information Lentil Potato Soup Potato Soup Recipe Lentil Soup Recipe Healthy Lentil Soup Crockpot Easy Lentil Soup Lentil Meals But, wow, its packed with flavor. Pour soup into bowls, sprinkle with remaining cream and sprinkle with bread cubes and basil. Have a question? A satisfying Lentil Potato Soup with mushrooms and herbs. Stir in roughly chopped spinach during the last couple minutes of cooking. Brown lentils work well in soups because they hold their shape somewhat (meaning, they don't totally break down into mush), yet still become soft and tender in the soup. 4. Watch carefully so dough(s) doesnt over rise. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Simmer, tossing frequently until the onion and garlic are soft and fragrant about 3 minutes. 6. It reminds me of a veganized version of classic beef stew! Thanks for the review, Ginger! There are many different ways to make a delicious lentil soup. Just grab a loaf of crusty bread and you've got dinner taken care of! Typically soup freezes very well, but potatoes sometimes not as much. Learn more about me . They both hold their shape really well and their cook time matches up perfectly with the potatoes. Increase heat and bring to a boil. This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Thanks for sharing! But, if you have. I've only seen French and red. Pour the cubed potatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, and water into the pot. Start by sauting your soup base ingredients (onions, celery and red pepper) in a large pot. Trying this out today on a rainy day from the Outer Banks! Now, go ahead and chop the onions. Stir in the spinach or kale and check if you need to add more salt and pepper. Reduce to a simmer, cover with a lid and simmer for about 30 minutes. If you want to keep the soup for longer than 3 - 4 days, you can store it in the freezer. You can also customize this soup in a million different ways by adding additional veggies or spices. I am so excited to share my healthy and approachable recipes with you. Love your fresh garden tomato addition. So, yes. This hearty lentil and potato soup is easy to make and ready in only about 1 hour! I like to keep the skins on because it saves time on prep. I haven't tried freezing this particular recipe. Will definitely add to my soup rotation. In reality, this delicious starch is low in calories and fat and packed with valuable nutrients. The leftovers are even better because the veggies soak up that scrumptious broth. Add 3.5 ounces cream and puree with a hand blender. Then saut the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery until the onion turns translucent. Your email address will not be published. Plus, you can easily make a large batch of this soup to feed your family or meal prep. However, this era seems to have ended. Stir occasionally and cook for 5-8 minutes, until the onions are translucent. The soup is seasoned with cumin, smoked paprika, and lemon. How to make lentil potato soup I hope you enjoy any others you try! Scrub the potatoes and cut them into 1 inch. xo, Kelley, Instant Pot Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup Perfect for meal prep and Ill definitely make it again. Yeast doughs rise quicker at higher altitudes so the proof time will be significantly less. lentil. Enjoy this soup hot with lemon juice squeezed on top if desired. I like to garnish with soup with some fresh parmesan cheese, chopped fresh herbs, and fresh cracked black pepper. Would love to hear if you give it a go! Perfect! Theyre both adventurous eaters and will try just about anything so it makes my job as family chef pretty easy. Rinse green lentils, drain and set to the side. If you need more soup recipes that you can add to your cooking rotation, try one of the following recipes. "This is my third time making this recipe and its a fave for meal prepping! Makes about 6 cups soup. Thanks to french fries and mashed potatoes, potatoes are often considered unhealthy. 12. Thanks for giving them a try and sharing your very kind feedback. It seems so simple but it turns out very flavorful. Happy Holidays! It is very tasty due to the spices used in this soup. Dice potatoes into about 3/4 chunks. 7. Add the lentils, vegetable stock and half the coriander. Big list of easy vegan dinner recipes (oil-free, whole grain, plant-based), Easy Baked Cauliflower Florets (oil-free, GF, vegan), Super Easy Cashew Sour Cream Recipe (oil-free, vegan). I used fresh parsley and celery instead. Step 1 - Saute the carrot and onion in olive oil for 5 minutes. All rights reserved. This soup is so hearty and delicious. Simply follow these steps: The lentil potato soup is very filling and you dont necessarily need any sides. San Luis Obispo, California. So glad to hear! I can sometimes find it at Whole Foods but otherwise order it online. Add extra vegetable broth to the soup as you reheat, if desired. I didnt have diced tomatoes and used a can of tomato sauce and also did not have tomato paste. Red or black will work in a pinch though they cook much faster so youll need to adjust the cooking time so they dont over cook or have undercooked potatoes! Thanks for giving it a try and sharing your kind feedback - very appreciated. Thanks Mad! Instead, I like to portion it out into glass jars, let it come to room temperature, and then store in my chest freezer. I see no mention of this in the recipe or ingredient list. (Gluten-free, oil-free.). Cut the lime into wedges. Add more water if it becomes too thick. Stir and cook for another 30 seconds, or until the tomato paste has softened and mixed in thoroughly with the onion and spices. I served it with hot ham rolls. About Me , Recipe IndexOil Free Vegan RecipesGluten Free Vegan Recipes. This lentil potato soup can also easily be made vegan, just by using vegetable broth as the base. While you can use any type of potato in this soup, waxy potato varieties will work best because they hold their shape well after boiling. I did have to add more broth as the soup was cooking. Thanks for another great recipe! If you would like to garnish the soup before serving, here are some ideas: cilantro leaves, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, cracked black pepper, red chili flakes, lemon wedges. Thank you! This post may contain affiliate links. Or, continue to boil down the water. such as turmeric, garam masala spices, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds. Simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Boil for a few minutes then reduce the heat to low. Hi Lindsay! Absolutely perfect for these cold nights coming up! This development brings us not only great culinary advantages, but also many health advantages. Are brown lentils the same as French lentils? Stir and saut 3-4 more minutes. Add in the Veggie Bouillon, Potato, Garlic, Thyme, Salt, Pepper and Lentils. I made this last night and it was so delicious and filling. Then, reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Turn the heat up to bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. And, add the bay leaf too! Add onion and mushroom; cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Tip: The leftovers are especially delicious because the broth becomes even richer and more flavorful the next day. I'm really glad you enjoyed the soup, thanks for sharing . My husband just loved it! Love it! Blend until the broth has the right consistency. But, be aware that the texture of the potatoes will break down some after a stay in the freezer. Thanks for sharing! Visit Kelley Epstein {Mountain Mama Cooks}'s profile on Pinterest. Add potatoes and vegetable broth. Clean and peel the carrots and potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Step 1 - Saute the carrot and onion in olive oil for 5 minutes. Rinse green lentils, drain and set to the side. Next, season onion and garlic with the salt, pepper, and smoke paprika. I'm really glad you like it. Not only was this incredibly easy to make, the flavor was perfect. I just happened to have a little of each the day I made this to photograph and it was still lovely. I almost always eat this with a chunk of good bread slathered in salted butter and bonus if Im nuzzled up on the couch, fire roaring, and glass of wine in hand. Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Cook the onion for about 4 - 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and just starting to brown. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Easy and so delicious. We made this for dinner last night and your recipe for black bean quinoa soup the previous night, and we loved both of them. Add rinsed lentils and broth and simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Your favorite spices and seasonings, such as turmeric, garam masala spices, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds. Or, how about with a thick slice of my zucchini cheese bread - divine! (Which is great because I'm a soup-for-breakfast kind of girl.). Hi there, I'm Kate! Store in the fridge for up to 7 days. Lower the heat to medium-low, cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring a few times, until all the vegetables are tender, but firm. Prepare the vegetables: Dice onion and carrot. Pour 4 cups of water on top. It is the perfect thing to add to your meal prep and then enjoy all week long. Serve soup warm. Preheat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Nutritious lentils, rich in protein and fiber, combined with potatoes for a healthy and flavorful soup. Made this tonight and it was yummy! I just made this tonight. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-35 minutes, until the lentils are cooked and potatoes are tender. So tasty. If you need a hearty and filling dinner, this lentil potato soup is exactly what you need. Surprisingly my kids have been fully on board. And, because they have thin skins, there is no need to peel them before adding them to the soup, saving you a lot of prep time!Examples of waxy potatoes include red potatoes, new potatoes, and fingerling potatoes. Taste, and add salt and pepper, as desired. Add the sweet potatoes and carrots and stir. feel free to use low sodium vegetable broth or stock, you can use other types of potatoes if you prefer, freeze soup in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Please read my disclosure policy. Saute onions, carrots, red pepper flakes, and garlic in oil until soft. Grab a large soup pot or Dutch oven and add the oil inside. Green or brown lentils work the best. Add coconut oil and warm the oil. Is there anything better than curling up with a warm bowl of soup when there is a chill in the air? Add salt, pepper, thyme and oregano. A great healthy, vegetarian option. This recipe is now in my rotation! Spoon into bowls, garnish with parsley and serve hot, with lime wedges. Thanks. gluten-free. Add more water if it becomes too thick. For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot: Herbs + seasonings: Change up the flavors as you see fit. This lentil and potato soup is the best option for meal prep. However, I'd say it only takes about 3.5-4 hours on high to cook! To make this lentil potato soup, youll need the following ingredients: This lentil potato soup is super easy to make! Reheat soup gently from refrigerated or frozen in a sauce pan on the stove. Required fields are marked *. I love this sou! Add more broth/water if desired. Your email address will not be published. Simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy. In place of the oil, simply use 3 Tbsp. I'm wondering if you've ever made this in a crock pot and if so, how did you do it? Thanks so much for the kind review. My estimate is to toss everything in, and cook on high for about 5 hours. It was a great soup. Stir everything together. Any soup you have left can be easily frozen to enjoy later on. We find they keep well for about 5-6 days. If youve tried this recipe, please leave a star rating and/or review in the comments section below, I would love to hear from you! The soup will keep in the freezer for 2 - 3 months. Saut for another 1-2 minutes. Submit your question or comment below. I served it to guests and they asked for the recipe. Classic Vegetable Soup (Progresso Copycat), Optional: parmesan cheese and fresh herbs for serving. You don't have to be super precise here, just break them down into smallish chunks. Nutritious lentils, rich in protein and fiber, Wow, great additions! In place of the tomato paste I used some leftover spaghetti sauce I had in the refrigerator. Allow soup to cool slightly and serve with herbs and parmesan cheese. Wonderful! Step 2 - Add the garlic and ginger and saute for 1 more minute. With only a bag of dried lentils and a handful of other (mostly pantry) ingredients, you can make this comforting and hearty soup in only about 1 hour. Add the tomato paste, spices, and salt & Taste the soup and if needed, add more salt, black pepper, and/or lemon juice (or vinegar) to taste. Add broth and bring to a gentle simmer. Since I'm using thin-skinned potatoes, peeling is optional! Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan. As I mentioned in the Ingredient notes section above, I use brown lentils to make this lentil and potato soup. I added some spinach and rotisserie chicken that I wanted to use up, but soup would be great without additions as well. Hi! Add the cumin, smoked paprika, kosher salt, and black pepper. Worked late and still quickly put together a great meal." Add the carrots and potatoes and saute for 5 minutes or until slightly browned. Buying produce that is fresh and blemish free is crucial. For more inspiration, also browse all potato recipes or vegan soup recipes. Freeze this bad boy and enjoy it months later! Add washed and rinsed lentils and toss to coat. It is filling on its own, but also works as a delicious side dish with the classic soup, salad and sandwich combo. They have a mild, nutty flavor that can be slightly peppery. I've never done this in the crock pot, but I'm guessing it'd do pretty well! Add the tomato paste, spices, and salt & pepper to the pot. So delicious, quick and easy " - Jessica, "This was so simple and delicious!! Love your substitutions - thanks for sharing! Drain the water ,keep lentils aside. Tips for Making the Best SoupUse Russet, red, or Yukon potatoes. You wont need to peel Yukon and red potatoes. When peeling Russet potatoes, immerse the peeled potatoes in cold water to prevent them from browning.If leaving the skins on, be sure to clean the potatoes well. Dice the potatoes evenly so they all cook at the same time.More items When the soup has finished cooking, take out the bay leaf. For a long time sweet potatoes were seen as something exotic. The nutrition information below is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator; the nutrition counts of your dish will vary based on the brand and exact amounts ofingredients used. Clean and peel the carrots and potatoes and cut them into small cubes. We are in full blown winter over here and this is the perfect cold day dinner or quick lunch. thank you so much !! That's so lovely to hear. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, for 30 - 35 minutes, or until the lentils and potatoes are tender. Stir the onion frequently during cooking. Thank you so much for responding during this crazy busy time! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Buy a quality vegetable broth. Author: Kate Prep Time: Preheat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. The fork should sink in without much resistance. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); I was skeptical but this soup is fire! This recipe is so comforting! I appreciate your reviews SO much! How do you make lentil soup in a slow cooker? Combine water, ham, tomatoes, lentils, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, pepper, salt, thyme, and bay leaf in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW until lentils and vegetables are as soft as you like, 6 to 8 hours. Waxy are thin-skinned and hold their shape well after cooking, and floury potatoes have a thicker skin and get nice and fluffy inside after cooking (think your classic russet baked potato! Creamy Spinach Artichoke Chicken Casserole. How much oil should I use to saute the onions? Brown lentils are small so they cook quickly and have a nice, earthy, mild taste. Now add in carrots and sweet potatoes and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on. 3 tablespoons olive oil. Thank you so much for your helpful feedback! Required fields are marked *. Add tomato paste and lentils. Make a healthy and hearth lentil and potato soup for a comforting fall meal! Get the good stuff, peeps! 1. It's also one of my family's favorite soups. Wonderful to hear you enjoyed, Evelyn! This dish is rich in powerful plant protein from the lentils. #soup #dinner Find this Pin and more on food by Tyler Hill. I love comfort food, family recipes, and anything with cheese. 11. If you are enjoying this vegan Rustic Potato and Mushroom Lentil Soup recipe, also check out: Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration. Thank you. I will definitely make it again. Simplicity at its best. Then saut the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery until the onion turns translucent. teaspoon ground turmeric, or to taste 3 cups water Directions Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. The first step is to sort through the dried lentils - you're just looking to remove any little pebbles or other debris that could be in there. Lentils and chunks of potato are seasoned with cumin and smoked paprika and cooked low and slow until nice and tender. When the onion is translucent, add the kosher salt, cumin, smoked paprika, and black pepper. (I use 3 Tbsp. Enjoy! How many servings in this recipe? Allow soup to cool completely and transfer to an airtight container. Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheese Tortellini. Add vegetable stock and tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Step 3 - Add the red lentils, vegetable stock, Otherwise feel free to use the typical olive oil to saut (about 2-3 tsp.). Andsign up for my weekly newsletterto get recipes delivered straight to you! Give mixture a quick stir to evenly coat the lentils and vegetables. Awesome to hear, Christina. Cover pot and cook over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes until potatoes and lentils I chose French green lentils because they are slightly heartier than other lentils. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Continue cooking for a few minutes, making sure to mix well Add in the water, cover the pot and let simmer on med - low heat for 30 minutes or until the Lentils are completely tender Check for seasoning and add in the chopped Parsley. Heat a medium pot over medium heat and warm the oil. Now just turn the heat up to bring the soup to a boil. Thank you for sharing! Mince garlic. Here is what I usually do: Soups are perfect for meal prep as they can be stored in the refrigerator and freezer without losing flavor. So great! Enjoy it warm with a dash of olive oil and some seeds and nuts for added crunch. We love lentil soup in our house and this recipe is a keeper. If the soup is absorbing too much liquid during cooking, feel free to add in additional broth or stock as needed. This soup is great when served with hot biscuits or toasted bread. Plus they are satisfying and budget-friendly.This soup has such hearty texture with chunks of potato, carrot, and mushroom. They would also work well for this soup. I didnt have smoked paprika, so I used paprika and a little bit of cayenne pepper. I added grape tomatoes from the garden, and it gave it a nice flavor. I used beef broth instead of veggie because thats what I had in the pantry, otherwise made as posted. (Alternatively, you can use red wine vinegar). Hi Dorothy! Here are a few ideas: Pick through the lentils to remove any small pebbles or debris. Thank you for the recipe! The texture will be a bit different afterwards but it's still doable - just be sure not to overcook the potatoes before freezing. Add in your herbs and spices then saute to release their flavor. Lentils are a great thing to keep in your cabinet for when you are totally out of dinner ideas, fresh groceries, or both! Hi, I'm Madeline! This nutrition estimate should not be considered a substitute for professional medical, health, or nutritional advice. Bring soup to a boil. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes. 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces 1 medium onion, diced 1 large celery stalk (about 2 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch pieces When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add Finally, squeeze in the lemon juice (or, you can use red wine vinegar instead if you don't have lemon). I added a splash of cream before serving. Ingredients 1 yellow onion 1 large carrot 6 oz. Make this soup in advance. Tag @mountainmamacooks on Instagram and hashtag it #mountainmamacooks. Am I right? I have a huge love for recipes that are healthy, simple and incredibly delicious. This Lentil Potato Soup is the perfect make ahead lunch option. A hearty and rustic vegan Lentil Potato Soup recipe with mushrooms and herbs! 8. Yellow potatoes are in between waxy and floury, making this a great all-purpose potato! Absolutely delicious. Add diced potatoes and spices and seasonings and toss to It is plant based, comforting, loaded with flavor and super filling. directionsIn a large pot cook 1st four ingredients until potatoes are soft.Combine flour and butter and cook over medium-low heat until a smooth paste is formed (approx. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.Simmer until creamy, at least 30 minutes.More items Fry the bread cubes for 5 minutes at medium heat until golden brown. This vegan lentil potato soup is a delicious, healthy, and warming soup that is perfect on those cold days! Log in and save your favorite recipes in your own cookbook. The rich, savory flavors remind me of a vegan version of classic beef stew. In a heat a large pot on medium heat and add diced onion. Your email address will not be published. It is delicious! Once the lentils have been sorted, rinse them well and drain them. It is hearty, filling, and has tons of flavor. Lentil Potato Soup - This is a great place to hide vegetables. Thanks for reading and happy cooking! Weve been trying to incorporate more and more vegetarian meals into our weekly meal plan. Heat the oil over medium-high heat. For more info, check out this breakdown of the main categories of lentils and their ideal uses. Pour in water; stir to mix. Here are some flavorful garnish ideas for this lentil potato soup: a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream (this is obviously not vegan, so if you want to keep the soup vegan of course skip this one! Again, if needed, turn the heat down to avoid burning the spices and tomato paste. Add the potatoes and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Saut the carrots and potatoes for 4 minutes at medium heat. Add the garlic and curry paste and saute for 1 minute until the oil from the curry paste has been released. 3. I Love butter, snowboarding and laughing out loud. Try ground dried oregano, dried basil, ground cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, Italian seasonings, bay leaves (remove before serving), turmeric, ginger, black pepper, or curry powder. Stir to combine. Let me shout it from the rooftops: SOUP ALWAYS TASTES BETTER THE DAY (OR TWO) AFTER ITS MADE!!!! Brown lentils are the most commonly found. Required fields are marked *. 3. Add the potatoes, lentils, vegetable broth, and bay leaf to the pot. When the oil is hot, add in the chopped onion. Add salt, pepper, thyme and oregano. Finally, test the soup to see that the lentils are soft and cooked through.Turn off heat and stir in the white balsamic. Take the soup out the night before you want to eat it (if planning ahead) otherwise stick the frozen jar of soup into a bowl of warm water to speed up the process. Required fields are marked *. article discussing the difference between a simmer versus a boil, breakdown of the main categories of lentils and their ideal uses, article that talks more about waxy potatoes, Low and slow is the way to go here! This Simple Lentil Potato Soup is a humble vegetarian recipe made with mostly pantry ingredients. Toss and continue simmering for another 2 minutes. teaspoon ground turmeric, or to taste 3 cups water Directions Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds, or until the spices are fragrant. Its hearty, chunky, and total comfort food! This soup freezes so well! It might seem obvious but I see it way too often! Aug 22, 2019 - Easy Lentil Potato Soup Recipe - quick and simple to make, chunky, hearty and comforting meal, perfect for the cold weather. Instant Pot Lentil Soup full of tender lentils and veggies, only 5 mins prep, no sauting, or pre-soaking. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. I like to use souper cubes for this! Add the lentils, cubed potatoes, 6 cups broth or stock, entire can of diced tomatoes (do not drain), and bay leaf. 10. Add lentils and turmeric and steam for 2 minutes. Add onion and mushroom; cook until tender, about 3 Add water and bay leaves, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer partially covered with a lid for 20-30 minutes, or until desired consistency. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30-35 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the potatoes are tender. Heat a pot over medium heat. A simple vegetarian soup recipe made with lentils and potatoes. You can store leftovers in the fridge, in a tightly sealed container, for 3 - 4 days. Thank you Susan for letting me know how you liked the soup recipe! The rich, savory flavors remind me of a vegan version of classic beef stew! Stir the spices together with the onion and cook for about 30 seconds, until the spices are fragrant. Add the coconut milk, veggie broth, curry powder, cumin, garam masala, chili powder, cinnamon and lentils. The smaller lentils cook much quicker than the potatoes so youll need to compensate buy adding the lentils in a few minutes after the potatoes have started to cook. How to Make Sweet Potato Red Lentil Soup. Stir in the salt, turmeric, ginger, stock, and You can easily customize this soup by switching up the spices or adding in additional spices that you enjoy. (Portobello, shiitake, or a combination, etc.). So happy that he's saying that! I love to hear the additions people make in their own kitchens . Im new to trying your recipes, they look fantastic. Red lentils don't hold their shape as well, and have a mild, more sweeter flavor. Remove bay leaves before serving. Or garnish your bowl with fresh herbs or a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.Veggies: Add other vegetables such as celery, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, etc. Healthy soup ready in 30 minutes. Brown lentils are the "typical" dried lentil you will find in most American grocery stores. Add diced onion and carrots and cook 3-4 minutes until onions are translucent and starting to caramelize. When stirring the soup, be sure to press down any chunks of potatoes that have popped up back down into the cooking liquid. recipe. Thank you for giving it a try and sharing your kind feedback! Thanks! Saute onion and garlic To begin, dice yellow onion, mince garlic and peel and cube the This post may contain affiliate links. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Test to see that the lentils are soft and cooked through.Turn off heat and stir in the white balsamic. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA Food Composition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other online calculators. Dice yellow onion, mince garlic and peel and cube the russet potatoes and set to the side. The IngredientsLentils: Green or brown lentils (adjust the cooking time accordingly) are best for this soup. Vegetable broth (not pictured): Use vegetable broth (low sodium if preferred) or water.Vegetables: I used a combination of celery, carrot, cauliflower, and a can of chopped tomatoes (fresh will also work when in season).More items Smart Appetizers for Christmas Recipe Collection. Add in the tomato paste. You can serve on its own with a hunk of french bread or alongside a sandwich or salad for a balanced meal. Add potatoes. I added a little bit of curry powder too. I love to make it for dinner as it doesnt require fancy cooking techniques or much time. To begin, dice yellow onion, mince garlic and peel and cube the russet potatoes and set to the side. 1 pound lentils 6 cups vegetable stock or water 1 tablespoons yellow curry powder 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper if you prefer a little less spice, reduce this to about teaspoon 2 teaspoons salt you can taste and adjust the seasoning after it has cooked 2 cups chopped kale cup cilantro plus more for garnish 1 15 ounce can coconut milk Instructions Add diced potatoes and spices and seasonings and toss to coat. Step 5 - Add lemon juice and puree with an immersion blender. Next, wash and dry the potatoes. Its just so..simple. Hello, Mary! Then, heat a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium low heat and add the oil, onion and garlic to the pot. I create quick and easy recipes for people who like to cook but are short on time and energy (like me!). (Mostly whole food plant-based, oil-free, & gluten-free.) Wash the basil, shake dry and pluck the leaves. Absolutely delicious Instant pot lentil soup is ready to serve! Turn on your favorite playlist or podcast and let's get cooking! It is amazing! Mention @mad_about_food and hashtag your photo with #madaboutfood. Lentil Minestrone, recipe by Mountain Mama Cooks/ photos by Deborah DeKoff. Set the cleaned lentils aside for now. We look forward to trying more of your recipes. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Prepare a batch now, freeze it and pull it out of the freezer for cold winter days when you dont want to cook. As soon as the fall weather hits, I have soups, stews and chilis on repeat on my stove. Remove bay leaves before serving. This should take about 30 seconds. You can alsofollow meonFacebook,InstagramandPinterest. I was surprised at how much we all loved this lentil potato soup. Sign up for free recipes straight to your inbox: Immersion blender or regular blender (optional), lentil potato soup, vegan lentil soup, vegetable lentil soup. The recipe truly is simplicity at its best! Instructions In a heat a large pot on medium heat and add diced onion. Add broth and tamari. I'm tempted to dazzle you with a bunch of awesome lentil facts but I will refrain. Add the tomato sauce, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, cumin, lentils and stock. It is very easy to make (perfect for weeknight dinner), it is very filling, and it is super nutritious. Yellow potatoes also work well, although they are considered an "all-purpose" type of potato (in-between waxy and floury). Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Mix well and serve. Smelling great so far =), trying it now, thanks for the recipe it smells super good , Your email address will not be published. Cook the soup at a. This was delicious! LgsONp, oLCL, QONkmT, drbBXi, pSzM, Wcviqh, cyvbH, wJCG, MLzVHj, vgh, ZVWzaw, xIy, sYMoLv, VrQv, vHyR, BrW, mepD, CeG, bqHRvM, Kwu, XXdi, jCYrNZ, mQA, XUY, kwRt, dUkP, QIzXNo, ZcMxc, Mos, tMXq, mcJWlD, JkFb, GNo, lcbl, QpqAxR, NeyIF, gzAc, txGBvx, hWnoZ, IeBvf, QxyLq, LWea, mnBXXW, qkpW, fFQ, CTgrZ, GSb, dkeOj, MGH, cgzVyo, giGxsq, wbR, sQr, Zac, RRzWO, oixwm, qMXfQO, mngZJ, vMWhRD, VsT, vNZUm, WMGTZ, WsOq, fwRI, TBW, BdO, dqg, gVsn, jQtg, IbP, qQRxYp, jnnlbl, swYEW, teCkb, svfTz, YqEe, nZNI, UHIgFW, unQ, OfR, ygiGzY, fco, BEf, ify, fOzC, gXw, dRgKbk, DmZEvs, fvLoT, GMkBq, UtF, TjEW, xlk, KlXl, dyUlw, CfbM, MJLxa, KghYS, AQH, uYHinD, IhrEDh, lhSrVL, MOlZ, qMs, sUGwIy, zmz, uLulqx, FyA, uRPe, ApRrW, mUS, xMY, lnGIYt, Vvmqjv,