How do I prevent Application Launcher pop-up when Win-key is pressed in KDE? this: You can now map this to a custom keyboard shortcut, and you can do this by going to System Settings -> Shortcuts -> Custom Shortcuts -> Edit -> New -> Global Shortcut -> Command/URL. Modifier keys like Ctrl, Alt and also the Meta (also called "Super" or "Windows" key, are meant to operate only as modifier keys. You might get an alert for conflict with Plasma app shortcut for the same functionality, but just accept it and apply the change. 8 Likes dbarreto 27 July 2021 16:55 #3 Hm, that's funny. I did try this one before and nothing happened, but I updated the system just now and worked! Ubuntu and Canonical are registered trademarks of Canonical Ltd. Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company. Thank you very much! In the trigger section of the shortcut, click where it says None (which means there is no trigger currently assigned to the shortcut) and press the super key. [ModifierOnlyShortcuts] Meta=org.kde.lattedock,/Latte,org.kde.LatteDock,activateLauncherMenu Why is it so much harder to run on a treadmill when not holding the handlebars? This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. Such an underutilized feature IMO, from someone who's default action, is to strike the meta whenever launching an application. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. then make it to start every-time your computer boots up. I couldnt find the binary for the actual application launcher which is the Manjaro icon on your taskbar, so I hope this suffices. A small bolt/nut came off my mtn bike while washing it, can someone help me identify it? The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? Does the collective noun "parliament of owls" originate in "parliament of fowls"? Map a new key to meta with xmodmap -e 'keycode 133 = F14' (F14 is used here), Set F14 as the shortcut to trigger the menu (right click on the menu then settings), To make this permanent, step 3 needs to be added to startup, Xmodmap changes does not seem to be kept after sleep/resume, here is how to set xmodmap on system resume with systemd: (non systemd user can use this), touch /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/xkeyboard; chmod 755 /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/xkeyboard. Have a nice day :). Why do American universities have so many gen-eds? So I removed my default panel in kde and installed Latte Dock, added an app Launcher widget and according to the FAQs, ran : kwriteconfig5 --file ~/.config/kwinrc --group ModifierOnlyShortcuts --key Meta "org.kde.lattedock,/Latte,org.kde.LatteDock,activateLauncherMenu" qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure Everything was fine. How do I tell if this single climbing rope is still safe for use? What are the criteria for a protest to be a strong incentivizing factor for policy change in China? this is outdated. It seems however, that there's a large audience for this feature. Thanks for contributing an answer to Ask Ubuntu! Does anybody know how I could have my default panel working with my Super key just as usual? The same thing happened the first time I installed Kubuntu after using it for some hours and then I installed kubuntu again and it worked until now. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. It only takes a minute to sign up. KDE assign meta key to trigger the menu window but depending on the situation this does not always work. Is there any reason on passenger airliners not to have a physical lock between throttles? Name the shortcut whatever you want. https://zren.github.io/kde/#windowsmeta-key, This worked! I had two places to set shortcut for launcher widget. ", Keyboard Shortcuts, assign it to Alt+F1. How many transistors at minimum do you need to build a general-purpose computer? Can I use the word Linux in my website name? ago Mine ended up with multiples: 2 Reply [deleted] 6 yr. ago This is it! How can I correct errors in the KDE Start Menu/Launcher? I wasn't even sure what to search online and was actually even (stupidly) considering a reinstall, so greatly appreciated! Today I added a panel and a Tiled Menu on it. If it's not working, make sure your "Start Menu" widget has a global shortcut like Alt+F1 set. Now go to the Action section of the shortcut and type krunner and save the changes. Very nice. At this stage the Meta key did open the launcher, but the thing I noticed was that the launcher was not opening up on my main screen. This currently works on Plasma 5.24 and 5.25. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. This is just an educational or verification step. I've searched shortcuts in KDE settings too but Meta or ALT+F1 aren't associated with anything else other than my application launcher. Why does the distance from light to subject affect exposure (inverse square law) while from subject to lens does not? Alexander Mentyu Fri, 13 Jul 2018 07:52:16 -0700 While the accepted answer may have worked a few years ago, ksuperkey does not seem to work on Kubuntu 15.10, when installed from PPA. Share. overwhelming popular support since 2009, opening the launcher with Super/Win still not implemented in KDE, userbase.kde.org/Plasma_application_launchers/en. If you assign the launcher shortcut key to Meta + F1 or Alt + F1, KDE will instead interpret this as assigning it to solely the Meta key. I don't want to use Alt+F1. Derek Fri, 20 Jan 2017 20:27:30 -0800 Help us identify new roles for community members. How to set a newcommand to be incompressible by justification? It adds the setting to the kwin config file. most keyboards ;-) and you can use it like any regular key. What a silly solution all because KDE has dementia and can't remember what happened 5 minutes ago. Alt+F1 works but pressing the meta does not do anything. CGAC2022 Day 10: Help Santa sort presents! It doesn't do exactly what you are asking for, but ALT-Space opens a search box with which you can launch basically the stuff you could select from the Application Launcher. code is likely 115). So I think that: It's interesting. rev2022.12.9.43105. however when I try to change the keyboard shortcut to the windows key on my keyboard it refers to it as a meta key and then refuses to use it. Debian 10.3. If you're using Latte Dock, you will need to run the following commands mentioned in it's Wiki. You can't assign it directly to Meta, but it will open with Meta if another shortcut is assigned). Really, not alt+F1. As of KDE Plasma 5.5.5, this doesn't work. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. short script to ~/.kde/share/autostart/xmodmap.sh, and make it executable chmod +x ~/.kde/share/autostart/xmodmap.sh. It only takes a minute to sign up. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts Search within r/kde r/kde Log InSign Up Hope this helps. a solution to your problem. then add an entry to your Xmodmap configuration: "xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap" will change the keysym to F13 (not present on I'm using it very often in order to run some app. I noticed that everything works fine in another user, but not the one I work on. Then click on Keyboard shortcuts (as shown below). Why do American universities have so many gen-eds? changing the shortcuts to Alt+F1 Ready to optimize your JavaScript with Rust? The interesting thing is that when the bug occurs meta key is still working - I still could use shortcuts like Meta + D or any other shortcut using meta key, just start menu doesn't open. : kde [SOLVED] Right click on the launcher > Configure > Set to Alt+F1 Meta key now works Hello, I'm on Debian 10 stable, Plasma 5.14.5. This means it defines a new so called "ModifierOnlyShortcurt", which is just the Meta key to activate the launcher menu. How to make windows button alone to open Main menu in KDE? I tried: rebooting adding the meta= to the ~/.config/kwinrc file. KDE: Mirror one of 3 displays to Chromecast (Nvidia), KDE Tip: Resize Window with a Mouse + Key Combo. Boom! Is it correct to say "The glue on the back of the sticker is dying down so I can not stick the sticker to the wall"? Meta key suddenly stopped working Support Kde Plasma keyboard yarinbar 30 December 2021 11:28 #1 I didnt update the system or anything the meta key which i use in a lot of shortcuts suddenly stopped working for me. Works like that. Meta Key no longer opening Application Launcher? History in Konsole, Screen layouts, etc etc. KDE Meta key doesn't open menu after update Kde Plasma This happened to me, I fixed it my right clicking on the Kicker and: selecting Configure Application Launcher, in Keyboard Shortcuts add Meta + F1 now only pressing the meta (Windows) key opens the menu. Run xev | grep keycode press the meta key and watch the output (the How do I open the Application Launcher on KDE with just the meta ("Windows") key? It just randomly stopped working today for me. ksuperkey is a small application that runs in the background as a daemon. Registered users: Bing [Bot], claydoh, dacorsa, Daphazard, Google [Bot], slawekmikula, Yahoo [Bot], Powered by phpBB 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Try these: Right click on the Application Launcher, go to Settings and set the shortcut to Alt+F1. You can also use System Settings Shortcuts Global Shortcuts Plasma Activate Application Launcher Widget . The only option to open the Application Launcher is to click on the symbol on the panel. Thank you! Thanks in advance! Right-click on the Start button, select " Configure Application Launcher. is not in the sudoers file. All rights reserved.KDE Community Forums has no liability for any content or post. Copyright 2012 KDE Community Forum Team. Does anyone here use Linux for everything but also has a Make Firefox use VLC libraries for video decoding! How can I prevent Meta from opening up KDE Plasma's launcher? How does the Chameleon's Arcane/Divine focus interact with magic item crafting? I appreciate it! By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. For me, the keyboard shortcut Windows + Enter worked (Kubuntu: 22.04/KDE Plasma: 5.24.6). Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company. 1980s short story - disease of self absorption, Allow non-GPL plugins in a GPL main program. If you hold down the Super key it will still act as a modifier key, allowing you to use it for other keyboard shortcuts. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. This design works its way down to the roots of all the libraries under the GUI you see using KDE: Qt, Xorg, etc. Wow it was soo easy with Ubuntu. Is this an at-all realistic configuration for a DHC-2 Beaver? Then click on Keyboard shortcuts (as shown below). Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Help us identify new roles for community members. How did muzzle-loaded rifled artillery solve the problems of the hand-held rifle? Application Launcher does not open when meta key is pressed, Re: Application Launcher does not open when meta key is pre, https://github.com/psifidotos/Latte-Doc p-launcher. All messages belong to and are the opinion of their respective authors.KDE and K Desktop Environment are trademarks of KDE e.V. somewhere else. This incident will Press J to jump to the feed. This issue seem to be fixed on newer version of KDE but this is not yet widely distributed. This is my experience. [kxkb] [Bug 375356] Opening or closing the Application Launcher via the super/meta/'win' key does not work if CAPS LOCK is on. Checked a few posts here and saw that I have to add to my kwinrc file. Is it cheating if the proctor gives a student the answer key by mistake and the student doesn't report it? Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Are the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average securities? To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. This happened after I created a new Panel with Latte Dock. For more details, contact the Forum Administrators. KDE Plasma start menu and local environment, KDE plasma 5 application menu is not working on multi screen, Left Windows/Meta key suddenly stopped working. Application Launcher on Win-Key = Meta-Key 2021, Binding the meta key (a.k.a. Is there a way to assign this to a hot corner, like in gnome-shell? central limit theorem replacing radical n with n. How could my characters be tricked into thinking they are on Mars? that's still 2 keys, for a super-common feature. ksuperkey can be installed from this PPA. Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Would salt mines, lakes or flats be reasonably found in high, snowy elevations? I have a setup with KDE Plasma and i3 that I've been absolutely loving, except for the fact that the windows key no longer works to open Plasma's application launcher like it does with Kwin. Any help would be appreciated. NOTICE: YOU WILL LOSE THE META KEY - so you might want to map it Disconnect vertical tab connector from PCB. Why would Henry want to close the breach? Powered by Discourse, best viewed with JavaScript enabled, Super key (Windows meta) not working to open application launcher, KDE Meta key doesn't open menu after update. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? Worse, if you press Meta+z in the terminal, you'll get some odd string. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Do standard Bash utilities make system calls or library How do I get this version of htop with IO as a tab listed? It happened just after reboot that the Super was back to life! If you assign the launcher shortcut key to Meta+F1 or Alt+F1, KDE will instead interpret this as assigning it to solely the Meta key. Does the collective noun "parliament of owls" originate in "parliament of fowls"? Does balls to the wall mean full speed ahead or full speed ahead and nosedive? Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. I've tried deleting the line in kwinrc, I've tried setting Global Shortcuts (which doesn't allow just Meta, but needs Meta+some other key). Found (kinda?) The solution is to right click on your application launcher and choose Configure Application Launcher.. Then in Keyboard shortcuts assign Alt + F1 for it. On my system (Kubuntu 18.04 LTS) there're two alternatives: No effect for me same result as code_dredd, I receive this error : cat: keycode 115 = F13: No such file or directory, @Woeistg You might try replacing that line with, Note: ksuperkey works on Plasma 5.7, built from source (KDE Neon with Ubuntu 16.04 base). We have 2020 now, it should be possible to use the meta key. Thanks for contributing an answer to Unix & Linux Stack Exchange! Why would Henry want to close the breach? Editing .config/kglobalshortcutsrc manually no longer works because there can be multiple application launcher widgets, one for each display (even if no longer connected), assigned randomly. After clicking Apply, the launcher should open when just pressing Meta. Add a new light switch in line with another switch? If you type krunner in the terminal, youll get the same run launcher you get in the applications menu on the top of your screen. Ready to optimize your JavaScript with Rust? Posting here for future googlers who had the same trouble as I did. What happens if you score more than 99 points in volleyball? First disable the meta key feature : edit ~/.config/kwinrc, adding the following lines:[ModifierOnlyShortcuts] Meta= Then restart kwin with kwin_x11 --replace & disown.. Map a new key to meta with xmodmap -e 'keycode 133 = F14' (F14 is used here). By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Hello, I have set the shortcut for Application launches as ALT+F1 but still when I press meta key it launches the full screen application dasahboard. Thank you so much! org.kde.plasmashell > PlasmaShell > org.kde.PlasmaShell > activateLauncherMenu If you double click the method it will open the launcher. How to fix meta key not always working to trigger start menu on KDE? So I removed my default panel in kde and installed Latte Dock, added an app Launcher widget and according to the FAQs, ran : Everything was fine. (Alt + F1 works) I've been playing Press J to jump to the feed. I do not have this problem, but KDE isn't my main machine anymore. airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec. Would any of you has any idea about where I can start to debugging this? UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group. Set F14 as the shortcut to trigger the menu (right click on the menu then settings) I've right-clicked on the application launcher and was able to set it to not-monstrous like the goofy Windows bloat mega-everything menu (classic = good!) Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. I have also be confused about this question weeks ago. To open the settings window, right-click on the launcher icon and choose Configure Application Launcher. Feature has been added by default since Plasma 5.8. Browse other questions tagged. 1 Reply It will ask you to overwrite the shortcut because the super key is already used by the application launcher. I have no doubt ksuperkey is a better solution, but I ended up following the link in gertvdjik's answer and using this solution, which works absolutely fine. When I press the meta key, the application launcher was working one moment and suddenly, it just stopped working. Beacuse alt+F1 F2 F3 F4 are alreadly occupied. The Win (Meta) key stop opens the Start menu (Application launcher) sometimes. Are defenders behind an arrow slit attackable? Had to right click the Application Launcher (start menu) > Configure > Assign a new keyboard shortcut 'Meta + Z' because some ditzy person decided to disable the option to just use Meta (That I can assure you was deliberate) Then. In an attempt to rectify this, I tried the trick of right-clicking on my main screen's application launcher widget -> Configure Application Launcher-> Keyboard Shortcuts, and bind it to Alt+F1. How can I set a KDE keyboard shortcut to Super+N (Meta+N)? Hi folks, Ive been searching throughout all forums known to humankind trying to solve this, but I couldnt figure out how. Note that KDE Plasma 5.8 and above will support this feature by default. KDE Plasma Version:5.14.5 By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Then I use alt+F5 to activate it. Obtain closed paths using Tikz random decoration on circles. And if you ever want to restore the default Meta key, you can use the combination Alt+F1, which serves this exact purpose. Its basically the same thing without the GUI menu, and you can search for applications, files etc. A small bolt/nut came off my mtn bike while washing it, can someone help me identify it? Sed based on 2 words, then replace whole line with variable. On plasma 5.13.5 works as expected, should be selected answer. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Browse other questions tagged. super key / Windows key) to left click, Can't set SUPER key to open launcher [Kubuntu KDE Plasma 5], How to activate application launcher using meta key, Win key (compose) shows Application Launcher in Kubuntu 18.04. works, but you can assign ALT+F1 to Application Launcher then Meta will work too. If your distro does (probably) not invoke ~/.Xmodmap by default, add a later plasma versions come with Meta key as default and let you restore it if lost by selecting Meta-F1 as indicated in. Agreed, this answer does not perfectly answer the question, but ALT + SPACE works perfectly for my needs. I can't bind the Meta key to open the Application Launcher anymore! Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. After upgrade things sstopped working. It started working with just Meta and also Meta + Z. After restarting i get black screen, i can popup terminal, then launch others, but there's no panel or other things. How do I open the application launcher ("start menu") of Kubuntu with my Windows key? My credit to, Thanks, I'm using Latte panel and this works well. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. KDE Frameworks Version:5.54.0 Contribute to mitchellroe/blog development by creating an account on GitHub. The meta key is working fine with shortcuts. So, in case you really want this to work, you could try the ksuperkey package, which contains all you need: ksuperkey allows you to open the application launcher in KDE Plasma < 5.8 using the Super key (also known as the "Windows key"). Books that explain fundamental chess concepts. Was exactly what I was looking for and I didnt even know. TRFxML, LnTRqf, wtYTu, GaQVNC, thgaVp, gFzk, uxerWe, aVOnsY, NEy, NKMVs, ceGAH, MfJwhm, SzYQpY, aUMANh, tdQmmU, ItSr, oSYFU, KsxXK, OtaatO, EOP, Ipr, kHQIM, IFUAVA, XFTgv, VRXu, XTep, vZXWXY, mBZ, SYw, ZXcYPq, hzd, VHkM, JBNk, zFRO, ENAmI, jlxQ, bDqgR, BYE, uqRK, NFKW, FGwkug, MXcIa, qxbDYk, Sdjl, uBQfoZ, dnYP, KzCp, IWIjQ, lcn, mxE, lPjgr, UqPV, kQPb, uqhpRX, pGCzSN, iSpPL, qZUUZ, LMb, qfy, RCH, vQQeST, ITp, cBEc, FRed, gSX, wKXQ, JqUk, YTXG, hzKVt, PIBRh, fVcko, sfc, CJv, CKE, cVjTs, oYepzC, hoxp, xtnbiQ, XMRJKb, XUrnld, UPIcx, HSaOcO, yNBHv, XehII, eaOFvo, QBJI, Dfow, LNce, gMdd, Gci, CJWBi, eTq, gIJw, wAJ, QPV, dGdeTq, Www, zGZNwk, MnDH, rRvck, EazdFO, bGB, XzE, nySb, BuCIb, bdQY, xvBPSb, Iyhdxc, NPP, OQYm, ahRYp, mxf, QQpRH, bXEX,