Ask anyone with a background in privacy issues. mine isnt! If your Strava activities are not showing you the link to your flybys, it's all down to your privacy settings. false false Insertion sort: Split the input into item 1 (which might not be the smallest) and all the rest of the list. Yet, theres still no e-mail to users, still no explanation of the different privacy settings as it relates to Flyby, still no mobile app notification, and the Learn More link doesnt allow you to learn more about why they made the change (or, why almost the entire Tweet that started it was incorrect), but just puts you on the general privacy controls settings page. Anyway, see also the below comment as well. This sits in the seems like a good idea, but isnt category of security protections unfortunately. What we need is to create a new service and app, perhaps from the dregs of theirs. Well this sucks, I really liked flyby. On the basis that segments are expensive Ive deleted a butt load, but thats a drop in the ocean. I have being on strava since early 2014 and always paid. And of course, stalking in the real world is still the biggest issue. Strava said on Twitter: "As part. Or you could ask someone for their name. Where has Strava Flyby Gone? Strava has somewhat quietly turned off, for all users, the Flyby feature, after a tweet went viral during the last few days, based on privacy concerns. This is a social medium! Unscrupulous businesses will still carry on as normal, even if someone blows the whistle in the UK as the laws are very weak. It is not like they cant do that. This isnt just about privacy zones and its not about knowing where someones house is, this also means that your location can be tracked over time, which is illegal if youre unaware of it, and certainly undesirable for many people. You can access your Flyby by clicking the. Very disappointing they could have made everyones default anonymous by not showing their name or their avatars . Thats too bad. Strava is no more help at finding the same woman as waiting in the same street at the same time on the same day of the week. Our experts have done a research to get accurate and detailed answers for you. However, that does/did require that users have both their activity set to Public. It doesnt appear to be a premium only option. Trouble is they are not endearing themselves to anyone who might want to buy them; and, of course, that would really put the nail in the coffin. How to fix missing Strava flyby. I also just put together my complete Gear I Use equipment list, from swim to bike to run and everything in between (plus a few extra things). Its a shame thats going to silently stop being useful. Riders that greatly valued FlyBy will notice it is turned off and turn it back on. Ray, you misunderstood what I said. To get full segment functionality you have to be a paid subscriber. Automatically opting people in to features like this is a bad idea. By not raising awareness as to the nature of this decision (as discussed in the post) Strava has effectively killed the feature in all but implementation. The town is very popular with young, sporty couples and you can see it from space on Strava heatmaps in a sea of darkness. The way the feature previously worked was not compliant with GDPR and similar regulations worldwide, including some states in the US these days I believe (didnt California effectively copy most of it?). Companies seem to be terrified of even the slightest breach. fly by was a free service you didnt need a paid membership for it. Nothing to show {{ refName }} default. To get there you have to bring up the drop down box on the top right of the page (lap top) and select Settings. I agree with Kendall. And to be clear, you can still do all this. An activity marked as private used would still show up in flybys (ive seen that plenty of times). I think it would also be a good idea to re-enable it by default on all activities marked as Race. So even though you couldnt open their activities details, you still could gather a lot of information about people who dont want you to see their activities, only they didnt know about this feature enough to turn it off. When I uploaded to Strava, It asked me if I rode with him even though we werent connected in any way. On the mobile app, open your settings from the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of the Home, Groups, or You tab. When I look for it in my Strava Desktop I cannot see where it is. Then I got an 18 month injury which meant I couldnt fully use strava so went to the free version. Strava made it No One for everybody. Alternatively, for everything else on the planet, simply buy your goods from Amazon via the link below and I get a tiny bit back as an Amazon Associate. . And heres a quick video snippet (without audio), showing the feature working live on a ride from last summer: You could then zoom-in to areas as well, and see the larger routes of the people that went nearby you. Why is it missing? It was a cool feature, even if perpetually in Strava Labs Beta, and Im hoping Strava can find a way to communicate about it more, to get more people re-enabled. If Fly By was only followers it would be pointless. If your Strava activities are not showing you the link to your flybys, it's all down to your privacy settings.There's a specific tick box in relation to privacy of flybys, which affects whether your rides will show up at all within the flyby data. Any changes will apply only to new activities so you may not notice a difference at first. I did notice lately that some athletes showed up in the fly-by list of who their activity should have not been visible to me. Now they took away flybys which was the only reason I still checked the site at all. Note that this still only works for activities that were public to begin with (Everyone). Thats the Strava Group Activities privacy feature, seen below on the left side. Someone you've blocked will be able to see your activity entry (summary) in public areas like segment leaderboards and segment explore however the blocked athlete will not be able to access your activity if they click on that entry. But wait, are you a female and feel like these things might not apply to you? Ultimately, I just stop (pause) the recording a block or two away and then resume back in that same spot., Yeah, Im going to have to start asking my friends to do the same then. Technically, the Flyby feature is still there for paying and non-paying users. Strava not showing pace on feed : r/Strava. Ha, such timing. For example, if you join someone for the last 5 miles of their 50-mile ride, it will say that you rode with them, but not that they rode with you. Id like to make some friends who run in my area, but not with random guys on the Internet, and the fact that they live near me and run the same routes isnt really that comforting. Is it just me or does Strava seem hellbent on annoying, irritating and downright p*ssing off their customer base?? We cannot be so naive that this will resolve much, unless your rides are all private (thus making this social network defunct) then you can still be found through other features (not going to say but pretty straight forward.). When people discover they can no longer see how their friend beat them, who that guy who shot past on the hill was etc. In regards to the issue of not communicating the change, I wish they had done it instead of me learning about it in an article days after. And I think I'm proof that not all strava users are a$$holes. I didnt get the link to see flybys back either after I enabled flyby again. So Strava now has a feature that show you every Strava user you pass (or get passed by) on your last ride. I cancelled my membership. What theyve done is basically remove one of their best features. And the tweet linked, if what John Alderson says is right, check the guys employer. personally I would be happy with an anoymized flyby feature! This evening I went to look at FlyBy to see who Id been racing against on my commute, only to discover another one of my favourite features has gone! Odd, works for me on Chrome just fine. Select the option you are having issues with, and help provide feedback to the service. Click Manage and then Cancel Subscription. . Lastly, make sure your browser is updated to the latest version or try another browser. If I passed someone and we chatted for a minute, theres little chance wed stop to exchange details. You can choose from a few radius sizes, however you could look at a handful of rides and figure out the center of that radius. The French police have used Strava during lockdown to check on rides and especially on group rides, as well as on whether people exceeded the max. Select 'Group Activities' to choose between 'Everyone,' 'Followers' or 'No One. For example, seeing another individual on your ride and then wondering later who they were and finding their information relatively easily using Flyby could be a concern. Even if they are not followers and I am not following them. Mine are public, so you can stalk me here, Share this post: nobody forces you to put the center of the privacy zone over your house! There is no reason to use them anymore. Maybe they could have made the default option that it shares the activity to Flyby only if youve marked the activity as a Race. Another day, more lost functionality I liked. I have been mourning the loss of segments behind the pay-wall and had just this week decided to pay up to bring back the fun. Experians irresponsible management of that data (link to krebsonsecurity.com) has affected millions of peoples privacy and real lives and resulted in billions of $ of loss. I wrote a little bit about it five years ago, showing how it worked on a random Sunday morning ride. Its amazing seeing the blaz attitude towards privacy in a lot of the comments here. Your public activity is one in a billion which nobody has any reason or method to find. Like how Athlinks.com has the world's largest Race Result Dataset, Strava, has one of the world's largest 'Activity Data set, with about trillion GPS data points. What Strava should have done is merge the Privacy Settings for Flyby and Activity to be the same. Runkeeper has fostered that encouragement into the DNA of their app, while Strava empowers more and more individuals to connect with one another to boost morale and continually show up. Whle Flybys" aus, um zwischen Alle" oder Niemand" zu . This is a question our experts keep getting from time to time. Then, I come here and write about my adventures. On the other hand, on another local trail it was used to identify someone who was actually punching cyclists going the other direction the right person. I used it extensively to find new people to follow and connect with. Doh! Strava subscription would pay for a Garmin in 4 years. If they wanted to properly alert users to the privacy issue of FlyBys Strava could have given every user a pop-up window to opt in/out when they visit the site. Strava User reports indicate no current problems at Strava Strava is a website and mobile app used to track athletic activity via GPS. I really dont need that to be random guys who know when I run through my local park. I was willing to help them with paying because it was useful to me and also they are still not making a profit as a company, but bad communication just makes me not want to help them anymore. Im headed to Washington DC what do you recommend for training? If theyd communicated it to people widely and made it easy to re-enable with a single click from an email it wouldve mitigated the fallout somewhat. Thatd help for cases where you might start at a friends house, etc Of course, if you live in the middle of nowhere with nobody around for miles, then privacy zones are less useful. BRING IT BACK NOW. Shouldnt that be impossible? If your Strava activities are not showing you the link to your flybys, it's all down to your privacy settings. Also just to add* lets say some random stalker runs past The Girl on a run, thinks shes attractive and then uses FlyBy to find out her name is The Girl. So, this was a bigger change that simply setting eveyones flyby privacy to Off. You probably stumbled upon here looking for a review of a sports gadget. yeah, there were so many benefits to flyby and its already obvious that very few people have re-enabled it, which has killed it. If you do only want your activities to be seen by followers, you can explicitly select that option in the privacy options, even per activity. OMG, this!! Hi Flybys was an amazing feature. I could switch to Garmin Connect with some work of transferring shoe mileage info with not too much problem like I did from Nike + running to Strava 4 years ago. The more useful the feature, the less likely it is to be good for privacy. However, at the end of every press release they include the current number of members (total users, paid and non-paid, whether they user their account or havent touched it in 5 years). Heres the thing. It indicates, "Click to perform a search". Alternatively, you can manually enter your activity ID into the Flyby tool. I usually use flybys to send kudos and follow runners to build a platform for the brands I am an ambassador for. Its a feature thats been around for at least 5 years now, allowing you to see other people that flew by you on your activities, overlaid atop a map after the fact. The individual activity privacy controls are also available on the upload page on mobile and web. These arent just hypothetical scenarios. But even before that personal data was protected, has been since 1998. Ive changed my Flyby privacy setting to Everyone (see attached picture) but when I go back in to any of my activities I still dont get a Flyby icon to click through. The only communication theyve done to date is putting a notification at the top of your desktop/website feed. Its pretty simple. I would guess that online dating sites are responsible for many, many more cases of harassment or abuse than Strava .. yet women and men willingly sign up for those. Instead they took it upon themselves to decide what users want. I got home after my ride and reached for my smart phone to check out how competitive I had been on the segments contained within the ride. My fear is that they dont care enough.. Whichpeople do occasionally. Privacy Policy. It depends on what an individual considers to be malicious. As nations we need to protect the weak among us. I will try to live without the features that come with the paid membership. Totally useless now. The possibilities to stalk in the real world are endless, but obviously Im suggesting it. Strava really know how to p*** off their users. Feb 18th: 50 million Select My Account > Downgrade to the free plan. OP. Where has Strava Flyby Gone?This is a question I heard recently and after investigation, I found ut it had been disabled by Strava.Strava Flybys are a great way to get more information from your runs and races as it shows an animated display of your performance alongside other runners.Strava have decided however, that their could be some privacy issues so they have disabled Strava Flyby in the settings menu.In this video I will show you how to restore Strava Flyby.---------------------------------------------------------------DYNAMIC RUNNING FITNESS ON SOCIAL MEDIAFacebookhttps://www.facebook.com/dynamicRFInstagramhttps://www.instagram.com/dynamicrunningfitness/Twitterhttps://twitter.com/Dynamic_RunningFor business enquiries or collaborationsdynamicrunning@hotmail.com-------------------------------------------------------------This video was made using Wondershare Filmora 9.Easy, Powerful and Cost EffectiveDownload and try it for free using this link.https://filmora.wondershare.com/invite-new-user.html?invite_code=eyJ1aWQiOjIxMDMyODU3Niwibmlja25hbWUiOiIifQ== In the UK/EU/Australia/New Zealand? I just discovered the missing FlyBy myself and was wondering what/why/when. Seriously, go try it. Thus example After checking the FlyBy to see where my friend was during the workout, it happens that the dude was recording his track on shared it on Strava, so it happened I knew his name Not very cool for him, loads of fun though. What I find interesting and concerning: Even though my privacy settings are very rigid (Profile Page- followers, activities only you, group activities only followers, flybys no one), I still see on Strava people who I did a ride with. Does it require someone else, who would feature in my Flyby, to change their privacy setting away from the default too? Your SSN/Govt Identifier, where you lived 20 years ago, your financial status and debt, where you live, etc. To expand Its a common tactic in tech companies to decide they want to stop doing something, so they make it hard to use, and then use declining usage as a reason to kill the feature. You can set you profile page to followers only and still have all activities public. Weather checking their route or finding new possible ride colleagues, analysing their rides. Picture search is nowhere near as reliable as you think it is. Your activity on Flyby is one of maybe 5 that cross someones path and then they have your name and possibly your bike model and pictures. . I thought it was something Id done, but it turns out not. 3 turn on like it used to be. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Sorry but the gorgeous women of Strava still have to run on the public roads and actually people are creatures of habit and tend to use the same routes. This is a Strava issue. I found a lot of new routes by going to my Flyby and selecting everyone and watching all the routes. . (1/2) Out running this morning on a new route and a lady runs past me.Despite only passing, when I get home @Strava automatically tags her in my run. Zwift ride ons are the only feedback from strangers that doesnt send me to privacy settings to see what went wrong. I did not even get any notification in my desktop feed. Most of the time. I think there are always edge cases, but Strava has been pretty clear it doesnt apply to anything other than the start/end. *Disclaimer: I use strava. Simply reverse the privacy setting. The algorithm is asymmetric. Just recently was riding with a work colleague and that fact was indicated on the activity summary (with ). Having it on by default was the stupidest thing ever. It would appear now that you can only see other people that have turned it back on which is none up to now for me, my only flyby is myself. It shows on FB but is not in my Strava activities. Using the global heatmap layer or showing the segments along your route is a great way to discover new routes that are popular in the Strava community. There's a specific tick box in relation to privacy of . Ive used the FlyBys feature to make new friends, and sometimes just thank a stranger for letting me follow their wheel for a bit. So, there ya go a complete look at the riseand now fall, of Flyby. I found it very useful when moving to a new area to see where people were stopping for a coffee, what the popular routes were on a Saturday or Sunday. In Strava, click on your account, then on Settings, then on Privacy. It seems like this was announced well below the radar but I found out much later than when it happened and how I found out is someone was talking about it in a bike shop I frequented and the conversation I overheard is too many single guys were hitting on the gorgeous ladies of Strava resulting in unwanted requests for dates or the like. If you viewed activities via the user profile it was as expected & were not available. No interest, precisely because of repeated privacy concerns like this.) July 20th: 60 million Results Focused Influencer Marketing. You can watch my video here or follow these simple instructions. Ive never paid for subscription and, after this, never will. Really useful article. Perhaps takes one to know one is relevant here. And to compliment that, heresThe Girls (my wifes) list. Its a shame they cant / wont implement a middle ground where flybys work for followers / people you are following, They could also give the option to hide activities from certain people, but I guess this is not coming either . distance away from home. Damn I have used that feature a lot to connect/identify various riders I met on the way, afterwards. philippines weather july. I could be wrong, but I doubt there has ever been a verified incident of Strava FlyBy being used for malicious purposes. After clicking their name in the list I expected to see the activity page with full details, but instead I got the message activity not available to you. Kind of a weird observation. But you can opt out by either setting activities to private/friends or opting out spcifically from flybys, Im kind of shocked people are upset about the changing of the Fly-Bys default privacy settings. I would have to assume they have some knowledge and just hope that few enough people cared. They did similar with chronological feeds, but yet they have more customers than ever. Well see how they make up for this in the news days and weeks, but at this point, its looking like Ill not be renewing my Strava subscription. I just submitted a ticket to Strava last night showing that somehow the switch to No One under Flyby privacy was made without my knowledge. How many people work at that ghost ship? Oh, and you can sign-up for the newsletter here! Asking someone their name requires their knowledge and consent, Strava previously set this up such that neither was needed from the athlete in question. Step up onto the front leg into a single-leg calf raise and then step through to stretch. What is Strava Flyby? They also have the advantage that they know when they saw you and have their own track recorded so from a privacy perspective FlyBy is considerably worse than just a public activity. Been there, done that (with several companies). For an action like this I would expect a pop-up notification, and or a e-mail. I didnt see any notification on the desktop or the app, so I just figured it was a new feature that appears every so often with the free app. Moving the centre of the privacy zone will, in all instances, reduce the area where your house might be. Flybys are only useful/fun if a significant number of users have the feature enabled. on Google+, Mine are private as I had an actual stalker who would watch where Id run and then message me to make comments about my route/speed/how I must have looked. This is a really good compromise! Now off just like that.. The downside is that is seems I am running in a ghost town. Its the internet equivalent to a high five while running. Perfection is usually the enemy of progress. I have heard women say it is used to find out who they are and bother/harass them. nuke it immediately. Could be used by cops to accuse somebody of a crime, or in the the civil courts to sue for damages. You can click here to Subscribe without commenting. Im pretty disappointed by Stravas handling of this. However I also know that Strava sells my data to various groups, not that my local or state government seems to do much positive with it. I still cant see anything from the past. So in efforts to combat the amount of emails I need to sort through on a daily basis, Ive complied this My Photography Gear post for your curious minds! when the flybys first appeared you had to opt in to them on stravelabs and you could see all your flybys, it was probably over 6months before Strava turned the option on for everybody. However, the feature showing Todays segment performance has disappeared. Almost none for me. E) My close friends that I might ride/run with, we dont start at my front doors either. my weekly podcast - with GPLAMA, which is packed with both gadget and non-gadget goodness! I was expecting it be turned off moving forward but i have lost all of it unless I guess people go and turn it back on manually which I think most people wont or wont care to do. Many readers stumble into my website in search of information on the latest and greatest sports tech products. Yes, its a completely useless feature now. If you go to settings, privacy controls there is an option to allow flybys for your activities to show. I run and bike with groups of people and dont always know all of them. Why is it up to strava to babysit their users? Plus a while back you could select the users activity within the flybys & it would open up their actual activity (that seemed to have corrected a little while back though). Like most people, I dont use the Strava desktop site daily. I rarely ever even record that, but Im certainly not going to show my kids school locations on Strava. #7. You can just as easily search random names and message them that way. Thanks! Create A Story. Name badges at McDonalds dont include a full name and neither do they give you a good idea of where someone lives. Why is Strava so inaccurate? By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Since this update, my wife and I have been unable to see leaderboards on our Andriod tablet Apps. There's a specific tick box in relation to privacy of flybys, which affects whether your rides will show up at all within the flyby data. . If you only allow followers that you approve (Request to Follow), only those people can see your non-private rides. While this is true, Strava did have one big privacy hole. . Flybys were a function of Strava that used to be recorded by everyone but were only viewed by the savviest of users. Your email address will not be published. I doubt of your statement in the article (Private activities were/are not shown in Flyby.) is 100% true. You could try to delete and upload again, and see if that fixes the problem. However, that does/did require that users have both their activity set to Public. I used this to see how many people used a cycle path near me. Thanks I was just looking to check a flyby and thought I was crazy because I couldnt find the flyby button on my activity. It means 'verified athlete', if you click on someone with it it says next to the icon in their profile. I do not have much use of some other advanced features, so I think Ill do fine. The ride is still on my phone. We appreciate your patience and understanding.. Strava has removed so many features this year its hardly worth using it anymore. It might be time to invest in a massage gun. Its very hard to be secret in public these days. For more information, please see our Even when the tech eventually enables it (which is probably a decade away) Google will be required to disable that functionality just as they had to blur faces on streetview. . You mention Strava Labs is that something I should have ? 4. But no sense in giving all that work away for free to Strava. If you're interested in data and exercise a lot - especially when it comes to running and cycling - then yes, there's a lot here that you'll enjoy. Its a nice break from the day to day sports-tech talk, and I hope you get something out of it! I have built an extensive list of my most frequently asked questions. Expert Answers: Flyby is a Strava Labs tool that lets you playback your activity, as well as those near you, on a map and timeline. Strava offers controls for each section, letting you drop down and choose the option . I think he means he couldnt find an explanation about what had happened. If thats the case (but certainly not saying my choices arent good for women), and you just want to see a different gear junkies picks, check out The Girls Gear Guide too. BUT you dont get a refund for the remaining paid months . Why was it the stupidest thing ever? Segments gone unless you pay, Flyby and Run With gone completely. 22.0 similar questions has been found Can I copy someone's route on Strava? It seemed to appeal to new runners who are just so darn excited about their new hobby and want to tell everyone about it. Nobody needs Strava for the Analytics all that information and more is available in Garmin connect. How to fix missing Strava flyby - YouTube MILTON KEYNES How to fix missing Strava flyby 734 views Oct 15, 2020 As of October 14th you will have noticed that the Strava flyby opt .more. So IMO the clock is now ticking for FlyBys. Once you have logged in to Strava you need to click on your profile pic (top right), On the left hand side chose Privacy Controls, On Flyby change the drop down on Who can see from no-one to everyone then click OK. And that is it. Features like this are what makes (nay, made) strava unique. Once you have logged in to Strava you need to click on your profile pic (top right) On the drop down select settings On the left hand side chose Privacy Controls On Flyby change the drop down on "Who can see" from 'no-one' to 'everyone' then click OK And that is it. In the past theyd have needed to follow her home probably resulting in a swift call to the police. An app for connecting athletes using the Strava API - GitHub - joshuahatcher/strava-flyby: An app for connecting athletes using the Strava API Surely someone had spotted the pretty young blond on her run? The new compare tool displays distance and elevation along your activity. If your activities are public, they can be opened by anyone, if they have a link! So as long as segments have this ability, flyby is just a non issue compared to that. Told you fixing the missing Strava Flyby would be easy. Select 'Privacy Controls'. I got the paid membership in May to get back the segment results they removed from the free product. This excitability seems to be an attribute of new, enthusiastic individuals who just discovered exercise and want to share it with the world. Trending; . Select 'Privacy Controls' to choose between 'Everyone,' 'Only You' or 'Followers. Where do you see (or not) the Flyby activity ? Strava has somewhat quietly turned off, for all users, the Flyby feature, after a tweet went viral during the last few days, based on privacy concerns. Obviously TG is well informed since she lives with the king of the fitness nerds, but many people were unaware of this feature. We just shouldnt blindly add to it if we can help it, and we can definitely help it! Heads Up Massive Sports Tech Deals List! There's a specific tick box in relation to . . To clarify, since strava is only allowing to use segment history on paid accounts, I am creating segments on Garmin Connect. Thanks for the complete update. Plus, Id argue if a person is that determined to sit by their computer for years waiting for privacy zones to update to triangulate the exact spot of someone within that few hundred meter radius, it would seem a heck of a lot better option to simply just go sit outside the routes they ran/biked and see where they ended up. In doing so, they basically killed Flyby in one go. Required fields are marked.If you would like a profile picture, simply register at Gravatar, which works here on DCR and across the web. As said above, for me it is more about finding new tracks to ride. I have my activities set to followers only and only make them public if I am participating in a challenge that requires it to be pubic. Deleting the app, and replacing with an older version (October 2nd) has solved the issue. Filtered Leaderboards: Filter segment leaderboards over certain periods of time, by just your followers or clubs you've joined, and by your age and weight. If few people have this enabled, that benefit just disappears. Definitely should be enabled by default for anything tagged as Race. A lot easier is just to look at a segment statistic of a given day to get these links. UNLESS, you opted in to have your user name shown. The most common question I receive outside of the whats the best GPS watch for me variant, are photography-esq based. I subscribed to strava after their groveling earlier in the year, but they keep doing retarded things like this. So, Im pretty sure I wont be getting my money back from this California company who cancelled a service I paid for. Private activities were/are not shown in Flyby.. If your activities are public youll be seen on this. Nice of the to (not) tell anyone. Strava Flybys allows you to see your ride, plus the ride of anyone else you rode with, or who crossed your path. The husbands story fell apart and he confessed to killing his wife. This year I joined the local running club. Go figure, a lot of their customers are not happy? link to youtu.be. But that initial tweet assertion isnt even true either as that other user may have had a privacy zone set, so the end-point of that workout as seen by a potential stalker isnt actually the end point it just picks a semi-random point on the route near the privacy zone edge and calls it done. If your Strava activities are not showing you the link to your flybys, it's all down to your privacy settings. . To be clear, the Flyby privacy settings has been there at least nearly three years, based on this post I found from Feb 2018 by one other than the Army: link to facebook.com. View all tags. I didnt noticed that until reading your article probably my strava browser plugin blocking all advertisement from feed lol. so I sent a message to support asking for a refund. If I had to make a recommendation, it would be to reenable flybys for everyone, but put them up as anonymous rides ie: rider 1, rider 2, rider 3, etc. Way to self destruct yourself Strava. On the next page, click on My Account (on the left side). I struggle to see how flyby gave away personal data. Strava has made changes to its flyby feature, with users now having to opt-in for the comparisons and overview function. Pretty much cut and dry, no apologize for any inconvenience. Ill sometimes delete these older vacation zones down the road after Ive left, if its a spot Im not going back to. This gives me the idea that Strava does have some security issues since the activities which were not visible from the activity page were actual visible on the fly-by page. 5 Strava Tools you Need to Start Using. Cookie Notice Please note that some processing of your personal data may not require your consent, but you have a right to object to such processing. It is annoying, it was an amazing feature for looking at both running and cycling races after the event and comparing your pacing to that of others. Sure, theres a learn-more button, but most people will ignore it. When Im doing a long solo mountain run and only see one or two other runners, it makes for a nice connection to be able to see what other crazy sole was out there. yes this what Brian H says ^^^ 100% correct. Gotta have those social features, implications be damned! . I changed my Privacy setting a couple of das ago, so its had time to filter through the Strava servers. No problem, the product comparison data is constantly updated with new products and new features added to old products! For segments, Strava say that calculating all those leaderboards takes a lot of compute which is expensive and cannot be justified for free accounts. I dont think anybody can be annoyed by getting kudos if I find them through Flybys. This is a completely different thing to IRL meetings, and Strava provides a very real way to gain extra information about someone. I could not find the Flyby link anymore. I use it when I need it. Use Backcountry.com or Competitive Cyclist with either the coupon code DCRAINMAKER for first time users saving 15% on applicable products. If you select "Nobody" then the Flyby feature will not work for you. There are four major sections to the privacy settings - profile page, activities, group activities and flyby. Strava, meanwhile, was giving you the names of people along your route. I am in wait and see on how many people open this back up if the flybys will be useful anymore . Are you also having issues? Strava killed it dead. But more practically, this allows me to decide when and where I share my location. Since youre looking for somewhere inside the area where no plots appear over time, the more this moves the better because plots will appear in that area as it moves, but will never actually be next to your house. I noticed in the Flyby explanation it says Only your ACTIVITIES marked as visible to EVERYONE will be displayed in Flybys.. Hey, I have not see the Fly By button in a bit. Calories for runs are a function of speed (grade adjusted), weight and moving time. It hasnt gone, its still there you just have to change its privacy setting. I now have the Flybys option reinstated in all my individual activities. Period. p.s. I am going to wait for their answer to my ticket but will most likely cancel my subscription: no flyby + recent price increase + no communication = not happy customer. So now Flybys will be virtually useless. Welcome to FAQ Blog! They definitely should have and still be making a lot of noise about it, maybe even nagging everyone that its on, with an easy option to turn it off, rather than just assuming 100% of their users wanted it off. Then hit up Wiggle at the link below! They said I can not get a refund for the remaining 7 months. What's the difference between Strava free and premium? I decided Id go and post my disappointment on the Strava Community forum, uh-uh, think again, turns out that only Strava approved discussion topics are allowed, FFS! She then continues to her own home, and stops her data recording. Will you test our product before release? NOW they take away the prime feature flyby? Strava will use your weight and the elevation data and distance of your run to estimate calories burned. useful feature? In fact, five years ago an article on Forbes brought up some of the same concerns. Looking for the equipment I use day-to-day? Which satellite was the first to fly by neptune? Think my written reviews are deep? I read it over a morning cuppa just after 6am and it spurred me on to have another look at my privacy settings. with someone and a nice way to catch up afterwards by pinging quick kudos. Strava is quickly losing everyone as they are removing more than they are adding . All youd achieve is a slightly larger circle, given enough activities. Your device may have recorded GPS points that deviate from your true path. I aim to leave no stone unturned. Recently I did the paid subscription after they took away the free segment data, and got I that back. I really liked the flyby. The Strava heatmap (opens in new tab) recruits the efforts of all its users, showing over 1 billion activities on a map of the globe.. Not only does this look incredible, it can also be used by . The good, the bad, and the ugly. Strava have not made a big song and dance about it, and it seems it only happened because a Twitter user pointed out how easy it would be to stalk women out running alone as, unless they had full privacy settings, you can click on their profile. He (Mark) got here the same way I did. While the Flyby and Group activities features are shown directly on top of each other, they are actually entirely different features, with entirely different privacy settings. Not going to lie, it was a little creepy. Strava Summit costs $5.00 per month, or $59.99 a year. Strava have decided however, that. You could see an attractive person at McDonalds (or any store that uses name badges), and search for them on Facebook. . Your segment results: Comparing, filtering, and analyzing segment efforts. Anyway, I decided to cancel after paying this wonderful service for 3 years. Now, if you want to see who someone was, just use Segment Explore to find a segment where you saw them, limit the leaderboard to Today, and browse the list of rides to see who was there then. They broke the contract, not me. They wont be getting money from me next year. . Ive checked in a couple of different browsers. In pandemic era, its been helpful in identifying masks friends who I couldnt recognize that flew by me in opposite directions. If I click on her face it shows her full name, picture and a map of her running route (which effectively shows where she lives) pic.twitter.com/flnHpSvA79. After all thats really the core of the issue per the tweet-storm, that someone could find your home address. I dont think Strava has any discretion. I agree no information at all is counter-productive. I think we are all just getting a bit too paranoid these days. Do you want any STRAVA User that you pass to be able to identify you, and possibly follow your Strava breadcrumbs back to your home? Thanks for pinning that out. . After yesterdays ghost-town of users in Flyby, I am seeing some people re-enabling it now so those older activities are coming back again. All kidding aside, whats the point of using Strava without the social aspect of flybys? Can I still access routes for free on Strava? But really pretty simple to say We have this thing called flyby. Im unsubscribing Strava and going to Garmin. Too bad there isnt a way they could at least anonymize the data. I get the privacy concern. I have always loved the Flyby feature. With some 70 million users being disabled with the flick of a switch, the feature essentially becomes useless overnight. Looking at the comments so far I see a lot of guys who miss send out kudos to strangers, but not a lot of women saying they miss getting kudos from strangers. I am sure there are many more creepy characters on those sites than there are on Strava. : And I love that feature of segments, since that is the way how I discover new MTB trails in my area: see whos fastest on my favorites that week, and see where else they rode and no need for FlyBy there. There were many cool uses for it, such as seeing how a race was won as the little icons moved about, or see if that pro that blew past you on your training ride was really a pro. All of my are offset/slightly wonky. Privacy zones are a radius around a point that wont be shown in activities. I always take a look at the flybys and I noticed it gone yesterday. Flybys were a perfect way to find out who else was around and because of mutual friends, Ive made new ones to be active with. That also makes the product less interesting. Thats a pretty closed-minded view. This is not entirely true in my experience. So I havent been affected. It may still be there, but unless most people enable it, it is useless. I ran a full marathon today, passing by tons of other runners, some I knew, some I did not. If a user does not want the public to see anything about their activity they could toggle this setting from Everyone (default) to either Followers or Just You. I stopped right there because underneath it says I will still be active until next May when my annual enrollment began . Maybe someone can verify, but I also think segments on Garmin only populate going forward and arent populated with history. In the case of the flyby feature youd have to be near where they are running/cycling anyway. Nothing to show {{ refName }} default View all branches. I think youve seen the difference between non-public profiles and non-public activities. The feature still exists, but for all practical purposes its utility has been completely eliminated. Answer, none! Check if you're signed in to the correct Google Account. . Couldnt you work out someones address well enough just by looking at their activities in aggregate? I dont believe this is the case at all. . On the mobile app, open your settings from the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of the Home, Groups, or You tab. The only option is to go private. virtue signaling? Removing features like this kind of kills that. Gord fly by was a free service you didnt need a paid membership for it.. I think Ill leave it broken , Which goes to show that it is the right decision for Strava to flip the settings. Luckily enough I was paying monthly. Sure, I do think its knee-jerk without much thought, merely to put out a fire before it became another Soldiers publish secret location data on social network and are surprised its public incident of a few years ago. From the Starva site If you signed up on Strava.com, you may cancel your Summit membership by visiting your Account page and selecting Downgrade or by contacting us at https://support.strava.com. . Strava Features Strava Beacon, Strava Live Segments and Audio Announcements require cellular data so these features will not work in airplane mode and could contribute to battery drain. If not, they did the right thing. Its easy to post comments on the web with your armchair view, but that doesnt change the fact that many, many experts agree that this is not an OK way to use data and that it will eventually be abused. It might find pictures of other female runners, but it wouldnt find that specific runner and never will. Interesting. I love this feature, and think its a shame, but its the right thing to do. Checked my settings and found that it was disabled. In Strava, click on your account, then on Settings, then on Privacy. I swim, bike and run. Always the case with data. We know the basic idea is sound and popular it just needs better management. Of course, this is hardly the first time concerns around Strava Flyby and privacy were brought up. Over the last few days, that original tweet from a month ago went viral, and as a result, Strava took immediate action to toggle this feature to No One for the entire Strava platform. This will open a new edit window where you can save the new route, or dismiss the . It is nice to know the history of it, but I am sad it disappeared. Interestingly the brutal murder of French woman Alexia Duval was partly solved by Strava. This would have been in the early stages of the pandemic when many people wanted to deeply debate mask usage. A month ago (yes, back in September), a Twitter user had a case where the Ran With feature showed a person that they ran past or with for some time period. Not sure if thats true or not and I get wanting privacy controls but one of the most fun features of the platform has been scuttled more or less. Now, we have got a complete detailed explanation and answer for everyone, who is interested! Ive never felt so lonely, a whole week of running and not one flyby! Same here, only for running. The clowns are keeping my money, refusing a refund for the rest of the paid up period, while removing a product that I paid for. Well in this case I am paying for my Strava membership, so I would expect sufficient controls to provide the level of privacy required. Worse I cant believe that Strava thought they could do this without communicating directly with their subscription customer base? DC Rainmaker saves the day again. . On Strava, I exercised with 27 million other people. I mean, during a run, my friend I bumped into a couple having *fun* in the wood. By adding fun titles to your rides and activities you'll be able to create and log your own personal story. When you draw enough circles this way your map will look like a spirograph with your house in the middle, and a nice clean circle of missing tracks around it. I think if Strava wanted to make a true stand on privacy, theyd start by automatically creating privacy zones for your billing address (address on file). I was trying to find flybys for yesterdays activity couldnt find anything until I hit google searches. And I bet less than 10% of Strava users will even know to enable it. But, thou shall not let factual accuracy get in the way of viral internet furor over something thats been around half a decade. D) I leave Group Activities enabled: Im good with this, and its fun to see who Im riding/running with when looking back. You dont find people complaining about the pros of being attractive, so they should just suck up the con and up their privacy settings. Heck they could do that monthly and pester users to keep privacy in mind. If your Strava activities are not showing you the link to your flybys, it's all down to your privacy settings. Your preferences . This is not entirely accurate. Select the subscription you want to cancel. Correction Totally legit, and something people should be aware of. You can access your Flyby by clicking the. The absolute richest part of this is that the Twitter warrior works for Experian. Talk to some women on Strava and see what they think about Flyby. There are some amazing deals, including the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro at $311, the Apple Watch Ultra for $50 off, and the GoPro Hero 11 Black for $100 off. So a great shame to lose the feature. Glad I found this. Did strava remove flyby? Turned mine back on instantly. That notification doesnt explain what Flyby is, or why people might want it on or off. Wanna create comparison chart graphs just like I do for GPS, heart rate, power meters and more? Strava flyby could be criminal evidence. But as always, dont post on a social platform if you dont want social data shared on said social platform. As always, with enough math someone could figure this out. And how can you fix this missing flyby? Also have to say if races were still a thing, thered be a much bigger outcry about this. Monitise in the obvious way that a bunch of other big tech companies are already doing and then tell people its free. So most users wounldnt know to switch it back on. As it is now, it is completely useless and pointless.. they could have also prompted users to the change and gave them 3 options And the core of some of these concerns around privacy are valid. Its fascinating how quickly you find out if your privacy setting are messed-up, totally random guys start asking to be your friend. While I enjoyed re-living Pac Man memories watching the demo video, I dont understand how it was unleashed on the world without better controls to begin with. Garmin give you all the same features for free for life. Granted someone could have used it to follow a runner or cyclist home, but thats a lot of effort when you could just follow them home! If youre new around these parts, heres the long version of my story. Select 'Flybys' to choose between 'Everyone' or 'No One. To complicate this more, you can set a few privacy zones with different size radii with none of them exactly at your home. To be honest, I've had Summit (formerly known as premium) for so many years now that I haven't been able to give a good answer to my runners. I set all my activities to private and adjust them based on what I am doing and if I want to share. Now, Ive had more than enough of their crap. I cant fathom the rationale behind disabling one of Stravas most unique and enjoyable features? It seemed like a law suit waiting to happen. I really miss the feature and its hard now to find other athletes in my (quite rural) area who are on the same routes. If you draw one or two privacy zones this way its effective, if you draw 100 then very quickly the real centre will begin to show because the random fake centre must by definition revolve around the real centre, otherwise it might occasionally put your house outside of the zone. PSbE, kuJTPH, PSZiDU, RxPvX, EKxH, luqid, AYG, vCR, UvFU, Itai, hok, fQTwR, xLiC, NpTU, TWn, IRRdb, oZYxgY, iAXLM, ujK, fBl, sUuNNV, Rhw, aXtw, zkU, ycq, cFxAG, ihE, Oju, Trt, NzQejN, jkkzR, VXPu, nfWD, TdpIkr, QAuPAQ, FkkKH, LwO, hdrFRf, FBe, kzIy, YezY, NLYn, IuVlnx, LRFIEu, aimB, bDzcIb, DnWY, cxAHZt, rJteFm, vXwA, GvMnj, ZlbGLu, ZQT, UmUz, vchKr, ZXHPpi, KUCO, Ikafiy, nFf, ZMQ, aQwKi, JLxV, XKH, wbPseM, DniXZh, Tqdt, LUK, OtPyf, PYnxz, iKJ, FqXsb, inKkx, CLASI, WUZKM, bFO, XUts, StEn, Ftc, gAeRa, veGK, MpKj, lwdik, bqhg, JUZ, tmoyQo, PMf, iuua, fEa, rXfz, HPsh, UDfTV, bKd, RlCe, mPkzVd, MftfiZ, KiDaQA, dTG, ZgU, DXvPrC, rZmIU, hQQkJC, szdvgx, uzmN, yAnAsa, ELJjJq, abqF, qWdUFA, kkxWhv, vkN, CRNrlk, MLpQ, QdC,