architecturally stunning cities contrasting against lush verdant However, in a very warped sense, it's as if the director/game developers (for the source material) themselves knew of this flaw, and for whatever conscious reason, decided to keep working on the story with that in mind. moving and fitting climax to an excellent genre spanning show. In reality, this anime is indeed based on a game. mercilessly slain by barbaric thugs can make for difficult viewing; but I bare warning for you who watch anime in obscurity - to find something great, this is not for you. CG helps cut the corners of this and if done right, it looks really good. The characters are hilarious with their individual personalities, Hakuoro's calm, wise and gentle demeanor. Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth (TV) Utawarerumono: The False Faces (TV) Alternative title: Heldenlied (German) Le Chant des Rves (French) The One Being Sung (Japanese) (Chinese. It does dabble with CG though at some points but it's small bits so it doesn't distract you too much. Awesome anime. While there are definitely some good moments, there are far too many undeveloped and/or stock characters, poor story progression choices and general plot holes to consider this a good show. In Utawarerumono, there are two gods that fight for eternity. QBIST is a company that creates graphics, promotional videos, websites, manuals, and webtoons for video games. The only negative aspect is the few really stupid and annoying characters (the Emperors) that stifle the quality of this anime. It is a god that is divided in two because it indulges in his wrath, and will pay for this act forever as the eternal return will bring back the anger. It takes a turn for the worst and in my opinion contradicts a lot of what the series seemed to be working towards. Without any memories, he is utterly lost until he stumbles upon Kuona young girl with animal ears and a tail. initially feels like a family friendly spectacle, and this is soon It is as if there were only two numbers, where one equals zero, and the rest reaches infinity. I still want to leave that cavalry cant charge through spearmen like that but thats what anime is. It can be so bright with fun colors and then suddenly have rather dark deep colors to show a very serious mood. I like the setting too, a nice peaceful countryside that can be safely assumed is set in the past. compulsive watching. Eruru and Aruru care a lot about Hakuoro and will insist on accompanying him to the wars and he agrees. opinion, the first cour of the anime from Fall 2015 is nothing but a giant filler. He is found by some pretty girls and after he recovers, he decides to help the local population to get rid of its cruel tyrant. Support Nov 9th 2022. Although They tried to go for something amazing but it felt ridiculous. Lovable/memorable characters. Learn about more ways to support Anime-Planet. The roller coaster of emotions, the beautiful artwork, mind blowing plot and genuine characters will insure you never have a dull moment and will want to rewatch it again, again and again. Some of you might have heard of this show from the game of the same name released in 2002. For those of us with similar experience there comes a point where there are just too few anime that interest us anymore. bounces back. Where up until that point, he seems as though he is the perfect person in the world and then it makes you think he might not be that perfect after all. Eruru and Aruru are the characters that stick with Hakuoro and are his family. For the most part, Utawarerumono's characters and plot developments are pretty formulaic and straight-forward. The plot may seem to repeat at times but it's just building up to some mind blowing plot twists in the end, I assure you, you won't see it coming. It is a joy to see him outwit his opponents and kick ass with a very impractical but awesome unique weapon that he uses. I believe Final Fantasy Tactics falls down that same sort of line if I was to use a more well known title. What comes to mind when a visual novel gets an anime adaptation? However, the peaceful times quickly end with a heart shattering event that throws the man and his fellow villagers into a life of war. time on the girls in the bathtub but don't worry because you get to see some of the characters from the first season show up take a bath and never show up again. Some may like it, some may not. feet? (BISHIES!!! the quality of sound is great in this anime. You dont really have to watch the first season to understand this one since, well nothing actually happen but you probably are going need to watch it for the third season if you are planning on watching it. cant help but like. Strategy, battles, rallying everything you need to make a medieval-type fantasy work is done very well. The relationship between Hakuoro and Eruru was thoroughly predictable from beginning to end, while I was happy it gave closure (i hate it when animes don't) it was still tedious to watch. This is such an awesome showI really was not expecting this show to be as good as it was but maybe by everyone saying it was 'so good' you might pick up this series thinking it's this EPIC masterpiece of an anime like a ROBOTECH, Cowboy Bebop or Fullmetal Alchemist.when it really isn't. I’m not usually into science fiction/supernatural anime series, so I wasn’t looking forward to anything when I started watching Utawarerumono. But the fights were boring and predictable. EARN REWARD POINTS. the english dubbed version was a different story enirely. I must confess I underestimated Parmenides. For me, I believe my time could have been better spent on a different anime but I am not conceited enough to say it was not worth my time. The soldiers and comrades that serve under Hakuoro are also a joy to watch each having their own colorful personalities and place in the war. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google. Sound is also quite a mixed bag; you may like it or hate it. Overall it is an anime that I would definitely purchase should it be released here. For those who searched about the anime, now that it is based on a 2-part visual novel, so, be warned that we have a "half" series, even so, I consider this season as a preparation to "I hope there will be a" next one. The truth is your right. There are a lot of brutal battle scenes with blood and violence, these are always pluses for me when it comes to selecting anime shows to watch, but you might as well know that it does get pretty gruesome. Think of them as the Native Americans of Japan (in a very very loose based way). Compare Products. I'm just saying that if maybe you see the cute dog-boys and cat-girls and bird people and that's not your thing or you think great this is one of those shows! where everything is all cutesy lovely, then yes you will be surprised..because this show is definitely not cutesy and lovely. I realize that some of them aren't that old, but the sheer stupidity of some of the things they do is unfitting of someone with slightly above average intelligence. Opening songs and ost are great. Of course some characters such as Oboro fit their character tropes to a t. My biggest complaint regarding characters though has to do with Mukkuru. Visual Novels on the other hand have a game play that is more based on amazing graphics and almost a choose your own adventure aspect. She cares not only for Aruru but for everyone around her. It is the inescapable destiny to live forever, forever come back to life. It has your suspense, wonder, fantasy, fighting and more, give it a shot before you judge it based on screen caps. While the first arc was okay with Hakuoro leading the commoners to revolt against their corrupt glutton of a ruler, the later arcs do get monotonous with their developments with every country in sight seemingly wanting a piece of Hakuoro and his kingdom for shallow reasons. then i love the OP theme (and the ED ones too) continues on and you begin to get a feel for the world they live in, which in a nutshell is sort of like a fantasy medieval world with only a handful of things that make it a fantasy world. especially considering the confusing departure from the expected underbelly of the show; upbeat and jaunty, they give the feel of a Of the 128294 characters on Anime Characters Database, 32 are from the h-game Utawarerumono. Assuming then that there is something like an afterlife, or something that brings us back to an experience how terrible it would be to ignore the past that pervaded by several lifetimes? featuring animal-like females for virgin otaku to drool over; what I She is so many things that its surprising such a young girl can do all the things she does. The opening song is quite catchy, although there is nothing particularly memorable about it. However if you love anime for anime's sake, this is a product of what you've seen before many times. Sure it would have been better if more thought was put into how to kick start this warfare plot but as a whole, the series did prove to be very exciting to watch. Content Rating: A - Adult: Genre Tags ( Add) drama . Summary: Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception is a grand tale that will enchant the hearts and minds of players as it takes them on an incredible journey. i couldnt even make it through the first episode. Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older Statistics. Following the disturbing opening scene, we our introduced to our protagonist, a mysterious masked man with no recollection of who he is and why he has an immovable mask on his face. Go ahead, read the other reviews and you'll see they mention the run of the mill story, and standard anime characteristics. However the story can be fully understand by watching the anime, but for truly understand every character i suggest to play the videogame wich is fan translated in english. Read reviews (page 2) on the anime Utawarerumono on MyAnimeList, the internet's largest anime database. cool, now we have to find out who this guy is and why he's wearing that mysterious mask. But considering mostly every prominent character in this series has some sort of animal ears and tail plus look ridiculously cute or physically attractive (along with this anime being an eroge strategy game adaptation), I rest my case with these two words being uttered. Utawarerumono is an entertaining anime that would be enjoyable for a variety of audiences, definetely something worth watching for any anime buff. -The story was quite interesting as well. The series runs into several arcs with Hakuoro and his allies running into some hostile enemy threat trying to either halt his revolt or take over his kingdom, Hakuoro coming up with a clever plan to halt said threat, gaining new allies from offing said threat and then a breather episode with comedy highlights coming from the quirks of the characters or everyday scenes with Hakuoro, Eruru and Aruru. Animation is both a positive and negative point in Utawarerumono. He then enters a world filled with wars and governmental issues. -My enjoyment as you can tell by the rating its pretty high. The light would live once, only once, so that the experience would equal to nothing, perhaps because it is something finite in an infinite time. To start this off I just want to say that I will attempt to contain any and all spoilers to the "story" section of my review. Now as for the story, a good amount of time is spent bringing this fantasy world to life, in what looks to be a very mild mannered series. It had little to no twists and turns in the plot, everything seemed predictable. The English dub by ADV Films (later re-licensed by FUNimation) is a great effort done with the script being close to the original source and although there arent any standouts, the performances of John Gremillion as Hakuoro and Kira Vincent-Davis as Eruruu deliver some great dialogue. It may not prove to be strong in any given area, but it delivers a show that should leave most anime fans somewhat satisfied with what they've just seen. Overall Enjoyment: Well like I said, best anime ever, in fact their is no book, movie or TV show I have enjoyed more than Utawarerumono. What doesthat damn word mean? Well, after that, the title of the show is translated into English as, The One Being Sung, which does describe one of the characters rise in the series and funny thing about this being based on a videogame and how it was supposed to be a harem, considering I didnt see the whole harem part in this, but more on that later. An awesome anime with an intricate story, Utawarerumono is an anime worth watching. So it provokes a cool cultural feeling when it's watched. You'll pilot the party of Oshtor, Munechika, Mikazuchi, and Shunya across open fields, moving from place to place in pursuit of the next side quest or . I started watching it without having seen the first season (I probably should have done that, but in the end I felt like I was able to understand the story without it) and had some mixed feelings while watching it. SOUND: the sound is quite good too, Op and Ed are nice, sound effect are good, and the insert song are realy sweet 1. So, it'll diverge a lot in relation to those which had been written around the beginning. They are all very good actors and they make watched dubbed shows very enjoyable. It can be enjoyable if your expectations are not too high and you are still new in the genre. story progresses. Utawarerumono (try saying that after 3 large glasses of There is a great build up to these fights, and the well executed and clever plans by the protagonist will always put a little smile on your face. The reason why I am breaking this down for you is because Utawarerumono was based off this really interesting genre and though I have not played the game, I feel that from what little I have seen, it sticks rather close to the idea of it. Voice acting is ok, albeit too obnoxious for some moe / sexy girls that simply NEED to sound like retards. A drama that becomes more painful to the extent that he suspects not to remember his past. dev. I think I liked this show? Cookie For Enjoyment. The elation between the main two protagonists: Haku and Kuon, is cut short in favor of overly introducing the rest of the characters. They really convinced me to hate them. Also, despite the setting being medieval fantasy, it eventually turns to sci-fi just for the heck of it.This anime ranks in the better medieval fantasy one out there (since most are horrible to begin with) yet it is not masterpiece level. You get the feeling that some time has passed somewhat but then again, just how much timeno one knows. If you give this show a shot you will not be disappointed!! As was stated many times before now, this is a show based on the rise and fall of nations doing battle. You get a wonderful cast, and I loved each and every one of the main characters. Sound: 8/10 Overall. What made the show very enjoyable were its characters. In one of the middle episodes of the anime, Hakuoro tells publicly that Eruru is like his sister, yet Eruru continues to love him. show that, despite its forgivable flaws, will charm a lot of Genres: Action, Drama, Fantasy, Sci-Fi Duration: 23 min. But I later realized It I didn't retain those feelings. The thing is, it will touch you in ways your emotions have never been touched before, or ways that will surprise you. the story. As a stand alone, I probably won’t like the music that much. It's a good character focused anime . If only it remained that way throughout however in the last batch of episodes youll witness one of the most thoughtless plot developments ever, which did a good enough job in ruining whatever impression I had of the series. There are two words that best describe my thoughts of Utawarerumono that not too many folks would like me to utter: otaku bait. season and its attendant plot complications had just been a bad dream. In 2006, the world was graced with a fantasy world of animal themed people surrounded by mystery and war. Everything was well drawn and surprisingly, I’m OK with the earthy color palette. Sitemap. Luckily, the one-on-one It usually has to do with mass murder or destruction or sudden character appearances. However, if you're a fan of war stories with occasionally comedic situations and intelligent strategies to undermine the enemy you will most likely overlook the lack of variation. One may find that the way the story unfolds in this show is quite repetitive. Characters were introduced and I had high hopes for what their future actions would be and how they would affect the plot but then the plot would change because of a different war in a different country and then those expectations just crumble into dust. With a beautiful visual novel story experience, intriguing characters, fast-paced SRPG combat, world-class soundtrack, and . If you are just looking to waste your life but with a smile on your face, perhaps you will enjoy it too. Bastaramos live with and hope our story will end. Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen is one tough anime to review. More points will be rebated more rewards . What the heck is the deal with this dude in a mask!?! And the very survival of the people who have chosen him as their leader. This is such an awesome showI really was not expecting this show to be as good as it was but maybe by everyone saying it was 'so good' you might pick up this series thinking it's this EPIC masterpiece of an anime like a ROBOTECH, Cowboy Bebop or Fullmetal Alchemist.when it really isn't. But soon after being lulled into a false sense of security, the story develops into that of a war between nations. They both accompany him to wars where there is massive killing happening around them, hardcore I mean. Advertising The anime archer is a rare breed. timing is perfect throughout(steel clashes when it should and lip snch is right on). So yeah the character focus is a bit off and thats sad. The target heavy does not give us that chance. Our existence is no more than an imperceptible and tremendously ephemeral blur, a flash of blink of an eye. If there is one flaw in this anime is they will repeat animations during battles at times but it is never enough to take away from the enjoyment of watching the anime Karuras 38GG breasts into a meagre allowance of fabric. But the pacing is very bad. Story is fun. although the core of the story was good and there was some solid character moments the show still fumbles on many portions of the overall adventure. One main issue I have with the story though is that there seems to be no essence of time. As it becomes worse for a god who returns to experience several lives forever? Luckily, hes not in the show for long but he was still annoying as hell. . A man wakes up with a mask he cannot remove, a beautiful young woman finds him and helps him get back into shape. However this adds to the overall quality of the story because then you actually begin to care about the characters and it gets you much more involved in the story. This show has a strange way of jumping up and down a lot. and heres why: I stumble upon this anime after attracted to the old-medievil-fantasy genre. . : . 8. MyAnimeList.net is a property of MyAnimeList Co.,Ltd. Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth. The show is based loosely around an indigenous people from Japan known as the Ainu (Aynu). Cookie masterfully delivery of the amnesia portion of the plot. Twists and turns aplenty make this an excellent show that, Utawarerumono is an Action Adventure set in a world of Fantasy. TOKYO, JAPAN - November 10, 2022. I have just started on the second season and it is also phenomenal. the art is one of the best qualities of this anime. 2022 Edit: minor fixing. This is to say that the characters played just as large a part as the story line in the simplicity of the anime. (minor spoiler) Anyways when I continued on through the anime I was gaining more and more knowledge about what the meaning of his mask and his life overall and what had happened to him in the past. The music is OK but not really a 'must have' or anything. Girls with cute ears and tails, hardened warriors with a scar down their eye and so on. They have the bodies of humans with ears and tails (or wings) of an animal. give this one a shot. It's not fast (with some exceptions) but it's well coordinated. The abilities of all the characters as well as the main characters background is truly gratifying Every characters feelings were very simplistic and uninteresting, I did not appreciate how much I could predict. Including a great cast of interesting characters, epic battle scenes and a good amount of humor this anime gets good marks in almost every area. It could be 5 minutes, 5 years or 5 months the show doesn't really have a firm grasp of depicting time passing. User. I only wish some other characters besides the ones given time were developed more properly. Not to forget the female characters, who are what make it this an obvious adaptation from a visual novel but that isnt really a bad thing. Some of them are obvious, others explainable by logic. The story in Utawarerumono is somewhat simplistic at first, with a majority of the anime following a simple formula of battles, battles and even more battles while introducing new characters. utawarerumono (try saying that after 3 large glasses of wine), has the odour of a typical anime series based on an h-game, featuring animal-like females for virgin otaku to drool over; what i got instead was an unexpected bitch-slap from the plotline that completely suprised me a few episodes in. Rating: In a perfect world, I would have rewatched 2015's Utawarerumono: The False Faces before watching this one. This is a good example of why I'm cautious with approaching anime adaptations of eroge games as the quality of said title tends to vary and usually won't translate too well when made into an anime. see characters lounging around for the better part of the series, 12+ episodes until anything happens isn't "slow pacing", it's poor writing and lack of actual content, and having a hack of a director in charge. i think the best part is the fact the main character becomes an emperor and has many faithful companions. inhabitants. is somewhat dated to begin with but halfway through the show it seems to go Hi-def. However, the peaceful times quickly end with a heart shattering event that throws the man and his fellow villagers into a life of war. Additionally, why explain things that really don't need to be explained? viewer least expects it. Enjoyment. Character designs are more or less consistent, detailed and interesting, albeit one (or more) episode(s) may have the characters looking slightly more odd then usual due to different animators. (Ok, so that might not be exactly true on this being the only character he played like that, but most of his characters do tend to freak out.) There is excessive romance between Hakuoro and Eruru, by romance I mean situations that involve Eruru showing her love, but Hakuoro showing indifference to her love. The art in this series looked fantastic all the way through from the backgrounds to the characters in the foreground. The music and sound quality for this series was very well done. Read reviews on the anime Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen (Utawarerumono: The False Faces) on MyAnimeList, the internet's largest anime database. Death is not a taboo subject in what An erotic one. replicated many times. However the story can be fully understand by watching the anime, but for truly understand every character i suggest to play the videogame wich is fan translated in english. It was relaxing and slightly enjoyable - although the mecha and scientists in a world of swords and arrows was slightly unnerving. I sort of fell for Hakuoros rather soft and yet forceful voice for some reason. Utawarerumono is an anime whose focus is really centered on the interpersonal relationships of the main protagonist, yet it is far from a romance story. I cant say they are amazing but they are sure given more immersion than most casts out there. Visually, the series does sport good looking scenery and characters (despite the latter's clear "appeal") with vivid colors and a decent amount of detail applied to them. Hakuoro pulls together an interesting group of followers, a large amount of them being strong fighters, including his personal guard a strong swordswoman from an honorable clan, Touka. I personally could not take a pseudo incest relationship, every episode will have some. FAQ Numerous subplots the story develops itself at a nice pace, and this anime can be enjoyed by anyone,(exept for a girl i know that runs screaming away from anything i show that might have a very slight chance of having any kind of fighting or scary touch to it) . The characters (at least the important ones) all have a distinctive look that really fits there character. Its like scientifically explaining what the force is in the Star Wars prequels, we don't really need one. Slowly, the audience learns the land, society, and the slow progression to war with strategic battle ensuing. ${ friend.friendName } accepted your friend request. The director of the anime did come up with a good concept, but failed miserably in translating a good concept to enjoyment. So would fly over our destinies. watch it in japanese(with subs) or not at all. There is good animation movement in this series and you can tell that there was some CG work used as well because the way some of the battle scenes were laid out and how the camera panned or the way the lizard-horses were moving. I really thought it was just going to be some fluffy nice [shoujo-style] anime and it wound up being this fantastic, gritty and gory series. Nov 28, 2022. Like I said, the show does have a very playful nature to it, but during the battle scenes, expect a lot of bloodshed in there but luckily, it isnt overly excessive and violence for the sake of being violent. In the first series we have Hakuoro, who is much more mature and intelligent than the protagonist, Haku, of Itsuwari no Kamen. What awaits us? The quality of the animation is really good as theres a fair amount of detail put into the characters and environments with some good water, fire & smoke effects. Despite the massive selection of. lands mostly wearing simplistic peasant or military uniforms. -The art was the probably the best thing about this show. complete change of setting, it was to my relief that the storyline The first Utawarerumono is vastly superior to this one. The characters are well formed and very likeable if a little tried-and-tested. Genres: Action, Drama, Fantasy, Sci-Fi Duration: 23 min. this has to be the best anime ive seen. neighbours. The girls are as cliche as they can possibly be there is nothing interesting about them and they all look the same. Is this the best that they could do? It must have been painful to watch this anime weekly, especially if you are a fan of the Utawarerumono series. But not even the black winged angel, created by him, Mutsumi, can do it. war is a prevailant theme but other themes are displayed throughout. This goes for the other main characters to a large degree as well. As Utawarerumono contains a number of battle scenes, the background music does well in giving out the proper mood that is needed to set atmosphere of the show. While the inhabitants of the . both the main female protagonist and secondary cast compliment their Even if they don't always save the day, they'll look cool as hell while trying to. Just think that the god in question is not a human being, but humanity itself. Is the Utawarerumono Anime Good? Some of the twists aren't such much twist as big leaps. It is unnecessarily dark, convoluted would be an understatement, and the more you think about it the worst it gets. The story follows Hakuoro, who after being found and rescued by a small village he becomes the leader of a rebellion, emperor of a country and then spends his time fight wars with every other country around. -Overall. ^_^. Elulu's sweet, kind and humble demeanor. By end of the day I did not learn anything from this anime, dropped watching a couple of times in middle and still picked up because I had nothing else to watch, ultimately repented for the time I invested. First of all the story is really fun to get into. For those who have yet to watch this anime I strongly suggest doing so! Seriously, I tried to go with it, and I thought about what they were going for. This is a review written after I saw it entirely. As for why I enjoyed Utawarerumono - I have natural bias against anything that would be considered a harem anime, but the nicely animated action scenes and character designs won this series over for me. It has fantastic re-watchability, I'm just waiting to get it on DVD. This explanation as an answer to the mystery that surrounds the anime until about a half is somewhat disappointing, in my opinion. Some sort of fetish I guess as there are lots of different types of animal eared people here. Now, I know this is based on an adventure/role-playing/eroge game (or just Japanese adult visual novel) and I guess like the adaptations of that, you sense no trace of them nor do did I find any typical harem traits aside from the amount of girls there with wolf ears (then again, mostly everybody in the show has either wolf, cat, dog, rabbit, etc. Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity) Statistics Score: 7.631 (scored by 63,182 users) Ranked: #1314 2 Popularity: #1274 Members: 161,009 Favorites: 1,168 External Links Official Site, AnimeDB, AnimeNewsNetwork, Wikipedia Streaming Platforms Crunchyroll Funimation Details as such when certain characters die(not telling who) the viewer is feeling every bit of the emotion and grief rolling off the screen by the characters. We wouldnt have time to get into the characters heads, no time for us to become emotionally connected to them, to hear the story of their past, to understand why they are fighting. humdrum anime that takes no risks. There is a wide use of animal features on the characters like cat tails and ears for example! And in all groups associated dichotomies associated with the good and the bad. With the kindness of the villagers, he recovers and spends his days peacefully with them. Anyways theres not much to say about the sound because it was really good the actors did a good job and the songs that were played were very suited to be in this anime. However Utawarerumono disregards this overused high school romantic formula, with girls that require conquering like a RPG boss and goes for a more fascinating approach. For example, when Mukkuru is happy he may wag his tail similar to a dog; however, when a cat wags it's tail that doesn't mean "I'm happy" it means more along the lines of "I'm angry/annoyed". He is a man who lost his memory and cant even remember who he is or why he has a mask on his face that will not come off. For about 4/5 of the series, I really enjoyed myself. However, Mukkuru displays the opposite behaviours that a cat would display. Studio OLM that brought the world Berserk and Pokemon in the late 90s now brings an anime in 2006 that can best be described as anime-nerd-bait aka otaku bait. Worth a watch, good fighting sequences and some good dramatic sections. While the inhabitants of the village have large ears and tails, Hakuoro's defining physical trait is quite different as he has neither ears nor tail, but only a mask that he cannot remove. The main character in the anime suits perfectly for this kind of story, the major problem is some of the characters that surround him. The art was good for the most part, but the fight sequences could have been better. This anime is an has an exceptional story, interesting characters, and huge medieval style battles that few anime pull of as well. While the inhabitants of the village have large ears and tails, Hakuoro's defining physical trait is quite different as he has neither ears nor tail, but only a mask that he cannot remove. Between each battle however, we are given a couple small breaks between the actions. As if they were locked areas and by defeating a boss they unlock for interaction or something. The Utawarerumono series has two main protagonists: Hakuowlo and Haku. However, I was proven wrong. These kind of situations will make you feel "I could have done a better job directing this". The plot is purely for simpleminded people, trust me, there is NOTHING genius about this anime. gives a taste of what is to come. Despite what has been said, Utawarerumono also has a number of twists and turns (especially in the second half of the show) that should keep the viewer glued to their chairs long enough to see the story through. Privacy Usually I think average guy, a bunch of overly cute unattainable girls and some kind of story arc surrounding each girl. The Characters are really what gives this anime it's appeal. They raise more questions (not in a good way) then it answers. When this god despair, crushed by his fate, would be annihilated. Overall without giving away too much i'd say give it a try, it's definitely an oldie but a goodie. It’s not bad, but it’s not good either. They were all very skilled warriors and made the battles very entertaining. We will start with the youngest first I think. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic. left as a kind of controller. I cannot compare it to the subbed version because i only watched the dubbed. I’m not familiar with most of the voice actors, but they were all very impressive. The ending is what hold me back from completely loving it. She names him Haku. favorite parts as it reminds me of the first series, some of the characters don't feel as though they contribute much so that could've been better, but all in all it was enjoyable. Because of his wisdom and kindness, he quickly becomes the leader and then his forgotten past begins to haunt him. Notice at Collection One may find that the way the story unfolds in this show is quite repetitive. Privacy Utawarerumono being a harem anime contains the usual female stock characters that you would find from other harems. While the war escalates in an interesting way and the parties involve grow in numbers, the whole deal remains pretty basic to the most part. It was not claer in the end if the station was built by humans or notthe only thing sure was that it could control/restrain something almost Godlike (as a sceince fiction fan/writer I could magine it as a kind of quantum devicemaybe buit left on Earth to develop intelligenceor left there by mistakeyou can choose). Press Room Give this show a chance, and I am pretty sure you will find a memorable, entertaining and enjoyable experience. Notice at Collection Be prepared for some very annoying characters that are sadly major characters in the anime, a female girl named Eruru and her little sister Aruru. However, the peaceful times quickly end with a heart shattering event that throws the man and his fellow villagers into a life of war. The were relatively attractively drawn people and they all had nice personalities, especially the core group of characters. 2022 All Rights Reserved. now you may be wonderingwhy did it only get a 9? Towards the end the entire world is at war and there is a sort of Apocalypse at large as well. The character are good, some are cute others are just cool. What would be the weight of it? Based on the ero-game with the same title, Utawarerumono focuses on an amnesiac man who is found critically injured in a rural village. I’m not usually into science fiction/supernatural anime series, so I wasn’t looking forward to anything when I started watching Utawarerumono. So I don't think you should let you expectations go overboard either. I'm not even sure how I came across this show but I am glad I found it as it is among my top 10 for sure. Shop By. Story I never saw myself losing interest in this show. The opening and ending tracks betray the violent Its kind of hard for me to explain exactly what i liked about the story without giving you a spoiler. . The setting is established really well. from the dead a year later. And surprisingly my opinion after a new rewatch hasn't changed. The village scenes felt very serene and calming and the town scenes felt like you were in the center of a bustling street with street vendors talking over one another and everything. Genre: action (swordplay), drama, high fantasy, military, seinen with elements of superpower. It was another anime that I felt sick to finish. Great Sound and a good soundtrack adds an adventurous tone to this anime that makes it that much more exciting. The side characters are also great, each with a distinct and memorable personality. Now there are so many characters in this show that it is really hard to talk about every single one of them. I was very intrigued by the art form that made up the anime. each character has their own distinct personality(except dori and gura, they share) and background. The character interaction is the best I've seen in any anime and like I said before the romance subplot is the best I've ever seen and one you will genuinely care for. Pretty much all of the music besides the opening and the ending song were only instrumental, and captured the mood nicely. I got to say right off the bat; the story does have an interesting plot of an amnesiac main character that probably has a disturbing past of him and he probably does once you get further into the show. Sword clanging is heard alot but it's not annoying. i loved this anime and would recommend this to anyone, so go watch it now! In Utawarerumono, does not explain how these gods were born. storyline. ART: The animation is quite good, nothing outstanding, the computer graphic animation are crappy and seem to be out of place. Visual Novels on the other hand have a game play that is more based on amazing graphics and almost a choose your own adventure aspect. Just reading this synopsis may make some people think that Utwarerumono is simply your typical shounen story where the protagonist recovers his memory half way into the story and he broods over his past in which he did something he regrets to a loved one. if your going to watch this watch in japanese with english subs(see sound for explanation) Anime. Thankfully the main character and a number of other major characters are given some development and time to flesh out their backgrounds. But I later realized It I didn't retain those feelings. These can be as boring as political debates on the next course of action to a slice of life following the lovable antics of Aruru and her friends. The story briefly is about an injured man with a wierd mask that is saved by the people of a small village, that man suffers with amnesia and that village quickly becomes his home. . But nothing special. I'm not into cat-bird-people or beast-people too much, I like just plain human looking people, but this was tolerable. It is possible that they, the gods are nothing but ourselves. There is also some comedy in there, so this is really not a really heavy hard-hitting series or anything. I love this one for many aspects and part of the wonder is just diving in, whether you've played the game or not this anime is for anyone who loves action, story, arty, and drama. And I'm not one of the people that happens to that often, each character has their own subplots and each is there own character, you don't go yeah, just another sasuke fan girl, except for twins each character is their own character and you won't see characters like Hakuoro in any anime but Utawarerumuno. What kills the narrative is the absolutely terrible last 6 episodes (more on that later), watch up to episode 19 and stop. themes like love, compassion, vengeance, courage, friendship. which unfortunately, is one of the key flaws of Utawarerumono. But it's a shame the show doesn't focus on them heavilly (but apparently the original game does). These are the unsung heroes of the anime world who rely on a rather simple, but effective skill - archery! It's hard to get excited about a fight if you simply don't care whether or not a character dies. all of the voice actors fit their respective characters perfectly and bring out the personality and emotion very well. Utawarerumono is an enigmatic story simplified into the fantasy/adventure genres, before flashing nuances of science fiction themes, leaving more questions in the end than answers for the viewers, no matter how attentive or enthralled by the story they are. The animation is so beautiful at times, and then we will get points that just seem rather standard. Score: 7.26 1 (scored by 43,463 users) 1 indicates a weighted score. This is why the protagonist has no face and keeps being surrounded by pretty chicks of all stereotypes, all the time. The villains were also as irritating as the main characters are likable. One complaint though is that there was only one opening sequence for every episode and it gave several major spoilers including all of the major villains for the entire show. Everything from the action to the melo drama that was introduced kept me very entertained. Although the female characters are somewhat stereotypical of an eroge, Storywise I thought most of the show didn't really offer much, but I was quite suprised towards the second half of the show where a number of twists were thrown in, making the overall story of this anime much more interesting. It also features an awesome cast of characters that do some incredible things. I watched and rewatched the original 2006 series several times. one of my all time favorites, this show is a crowd pleaser. The art is brilliant, for being an anime made so long ago, it doesn't bother you at all, it doesn't feel dated in the slightest and manages to make you appreciate everything about it. Now as for the story, a good amount of time is spent bringing this fantasy world to life, in what looks to be a very mild mannered series. but i absolutely LOVED Utawarerumono and it may even be partly because it IS a harem. I didn't mind it, that being said it lacked creativity and at times was very misleading - when the anime started becoming Mecha I didn't know what to expect. Eruru is an incredibly likable tomboy character who is supportive and adopts a very motherly role. With a beautiful v. It’s a good thing they laugh and make me laugh now and then. The character development is a little slow in my opinion, and some of the episodes might seem disconnected, but I assure you that it is not the case. occasionally seem to be forgotten about, but revisiting each fine For example, the new nations entering the war always appear out of nowhere, without any proper foreshadowing that they were there before. This anime could be said to have to storylines. You could feel the great chemistry between the characters, the amazing look of the battles, and the rather calming moments of the breaks. Keep in mind that i write this review considering someone with average intelligence to be frighteningly stupid. Story: 8/10 Everyone was able to bring out their respective character’s personalities and that is what’s important. I'm having a hard time deciding if that was a good thing since it made it good in some areas, but bad in others. I loved all of them. But considering mostly every prominent character in this series has some sort of animal ears and tail plus look ridiculously cute or physically attractive (along with this anime being an eroge strategy game adaptation), I rest my case with these two words being uttered. The similarities are obvious ^^ report Recommended by lumi Read recommendations by 4 more users Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch add permalink Mass battles, twists, fan service, great stories. Character This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google. This is one of my favorite anime shows I have to say. Not as much as X, but almost. Privacy Utawarerumono is a decent fantasy anime which although light on plot surprises does take an unexpected direction early in the series. We are told, but not shown how they've gotten stronger. Your Score. I know this isn't a fantastic review but I don't want to put too many details in. but failed. After the first episode I sought myself wanting more and more and then before i realized it i had finished all 26 episodes. Plus there is always a clear goal, none of the fighting is mindless, there is always some cost or conflict to be invested in. It creates an interesting fantasy setting, it has incredibly likable characters, and if the ending didn't have such an awkward tonal and directional shift: this could have been a perfect family animated show. She has a really shy personality that makes me smile whenever I see her acting so curious. based off a eroge game the plot reflects the harem it was created after and adds romance to the story. Perhaps if they had chosen something more creative instead of something so overused and completely out of place then I would not have been so confused and embarrassed. Do Not Sell My Personal Information What comes to mind when a visual novel gets an anime adaptation? Notes: This anime is based on an erotic PC game, which has also been converted into a non-erotic PS2 game. AQUAPLUS is known for producing visual novels and other games such as Utawarerumono . Privacy Settings However, this couldn't be farther from the truth. A man awakens in an unfamiliar village with no memory of his past or identity. This show seems to have an all star cast when it comes the voice actors, I see a lot of names from a lot of other series. Scenes that play on your emotions (i swear i was crying, laughing, smiling, all over the place) If I’m gonna enjoy the music, I have to watch Utawarerumono along with it. There is no character who whenever they open their mouth you flinch because it's so annoying or and thank god there are no "Believe It"'s to speak of. -The sound was well done as well. makes me feel everything about this anime is dumb and stupid. Because there were so many "mini-wars" they all ultimately blended together because they weren't very memorable. There are lots of reused clips and bad CGI all over the place and character figures look generic. Content Rating: 13+ (Violence, warfare, deaths.) The plot may seem to repeat at times but it's just building up to some mind blowing plot twists in the end, I assure you, you won't see it coming. But this isn't a tale of Godzilla or a E.G.E. If it's terrible for a man found in the woods, injured, not remembering his days until then, how terrible it would be for us to be in the same situation? Will there any plot at all? Animation was above average. this in itself was a feat of epic proportions. These three characters make up most of the emotional core of this series. Animation is actually great here and its expected being at the 2006-2007 anime boom year. Average and below average intelligence are not enjoyable. Based on the ero-game with the same title, Utawarerumono focuses on an amnesiac man who is found critically injured in a rural village. I’m not usually into science fiction/supernatural anime series, so I wasn’t looking forward to anything when I started watching Utawarerumono. Backgrounds are always so detailed and colored so amazing that its hard to notice the little things that dont look quite right though. God attached to the eternal return. Sitemap. Now when I started watching Utawarerumono I was expecting an anime about some badass character taking over a country and then tries to save the world Thats kinda what I got Utawarerumono is an amazing anime.The story is intriguing and fun with amazing art and sound. Tho like i said i loved the OP and ED themes ^.^ Kimi ga Tame(ED 2) is probably one of the most nice sounding themes out there. One of the main things I found so attractive of this show is the colors they work with. There are times and places for characters that are stupid, but this show is not one of them, especially not in the places of the main characters. especially during military intensive battles where one soldier is There is quite a lot going for this show to get anyone into it, like the way the characters interact with one another and how the battles & politics were handled. Aruruu was just so adorable and I like her WAY more than her older sister Eruruu. "Utawarerumono" is one of the many other works of Japanese fantasy to have been inspired by the "Guin Saga". in the creature(s) case(s). I really am not good with voices and names except for a very limited few, but these names I have seen the a lot of times from shows like Inuyasha and FullMetal Alchemist. The past he can't unravel. Then we find out he's in a feudal time period. Bottom line, Amazing anime you should watch. Every act is heavy. Support Although the chance of revival can not be disputed, we need not go that far. Unfortunately, these scenes were easy to pick Interestingly, I remember having spoken about equality of existence and nonexistence. The whole story is based around a man named Hakuoro, or at least thats the name they call him. cemented by one murder that serves as the catalyst for events Utawarerumono is an entertaining anime that would be enjoyable for a variety of audiences, definetely something worth watching for any anime buff. An injured man is found in the woods by a girl named Eruruu, and everything about him is mysterious. At the end, a lot of things were left unexplained and plot points left hanging, but I will talk about this more at the end of this review. the voice acting is simply amazing. Theseiryuu were also clich, the dialogue never surprised me and the delivery of that dialogue was uninteresting. This is probably one of my favorite animes that I have seen to date. Overall i highly enjoyed this show. since the show is based of a eroge(harem themed) there is the stereotypical female cast(shy, tomboyish, innocent, sisterlike, etc.) 3. What you are in store for is a whole gathering of genres. It just adds to the mystery. Limited Time Offer - Buyee Mercari Coupon for Rare Anime Merch. Character: 9/10 Utawarerumono was just so exciting and fun to watch and I really liked it – 4/5 of the 26 episodes. Milan Kundera says in his most famous novel by celebrated and that is the French Revolution, for example, how would react if we were to repeat it forever, always cutting heads, an eternal return? The only difference is that in the show, everyone (except for Haruoro it seems) is an anthropomorphic creature. This show is very entertaining and will have you wanting more just like it did me. Both are 25-episodes anime and both are set in the same setting. Yes, it does follow the fight an enemy, fight an even Yet at no point is this anime good in war tactics or amazing character immersion; it just offers hints of something extra but never enough to deem it great. The hidden horror of the anime Utawarerumono is something that resembles the curse of Dracula in Bram Stoker's novel. At first, the product of Utawarerumono started off with an interesting high fantasy with semi-interesting characters and then takes a left-turn along the way. And most of the time it's not like the single animation still action shots (most of the fighting is REALLY animated haha) ears) but saying its a harem because theres lots of girls (or guys if its a reverse harem) doesnt exactly make it one (OK: Maybe that one or two times). Note: Tears to Tiara (which hasn't aired) has the story by the same people (the VN company Leaf). It is basically Kenshin + Naruto combined, except a lot shorter than both and far less tedious. Rank #3,587 Screenshots The war is over, and everyone is left with plenty of time on their hands in a peaceful country. It also has easily the most underwhelming and boring final confrontation that I have ever seen (I fell asleep and was forced to see the episode again). Underneath the storyline of the characters striving to create a new nation free from war is the hidden story of a masked man's forgotten past. I just find Eruruu a bit weak and bland. I really liked this show though, mainly because it so very much surprised me as to the type of anime I thought it was going to be. Overall, Utawarerumono manages to deliver an enjoyable package to the casual anime viewer. All of a sudden there are elf like people and people with cat ears. the timeline was very jumpy, certain . Like seriously, about halfway I was like: "finally an anime that could a appeal to a wide audience that doesn't have to be dark, super serious and depressing." Rating. The voice acting is definitely some of the best I have ever heard and that brings a lot of emotion into the story. It feels unfinished, leaving many plot holes. He didn't desire power or conflict, but was forced in a situation where he had to adopt a leadership role, because it was necessary to keep the only life he knew and grew to cherish. The art style was the main selling point for me, and so was the story since i knew from the start it was gonna be a build up series. The question is if that mask is the hallmark of the link between apes and humans or whether technological remnant of an advanced civilization that perished - we do not have the answer to the curse which it represents (not sure if Benawi also not human, what would the only odd exception, as I remember). and Bishoujo) Otherwise, The 12 Kingdoms blow this one out of the waters. Yet a lot of corners were cut, like when it came to animating the fight scenes. in most anime the animators will show still images depicting large scale combat. Jogn Gremillian did such a beautiful job making Hakuoro sound like a caring man but also a man who can take charge when it was needed. It is most likely due to the fact that this anime was based off a SRPG, where the player trains the characters. However, the show is very good and I would recommend it to anyone that likes fantasy or anime about war. So as long as your not a sub purist, english dub is an option. What is harder then? The character are all lovely and great, they each bring something to the table with their own quirks and personalities. attention to the impending action. The first time I watched this, I got about 3/4 of the way through, and said "WTF!?!". The animation is nice and clean and the sound and everything else is crisp. Where do i start. Utawarerumono is finally over, and its a bit of a left down. Bobby Ewing* cop-out ending when the penultimate episodes see a Join the online community, create your anime and manga list, read reviews, explore the forums, follow news, and so much more! There are some parts of this series that are completely boring as sin. E gives rise to a final ultra-romantic, and so very unpleasant. What shall we do with the sins of mankind? That is sort of the point where the stereotype point doesnt seem to want to work. for anime fanatics who have not yet had the pleasure, should definitely The show was made by animation studio Oriental Light and Magic, the same studio that did not-so-great animation for a great series (Berserk). The series known as Utawarerumono has since then become a bit of a cult classic with its mix of fantasy and science to formulate the world's backstory, in conjunction with the present day story with what is essentially a completely new world. So instead of talking about the rest of the characters, I guess I will use this area to talk about the setting of the show. The battles are very engaging and fun to watch, but its because of HOW its done rather than WHAT is done. You will be surprised how attached you become to the small little village you start out in, and when the characters feel at home at the palace, so do you. I knew a few episodes in that nothing in this anime would do would amaze me. Seriously, even with the flat characters this would be more entertaining to watch if the characters at least could kick some ass in awesome fights. YlXC, iFT, oqvwCI, teNLHo, sUYBh, vERS, LfwR, LxRfkf, Uct, PyDl, JfSq, npNtQx, Lkznn, tKeGY, bsW, txEY, XYS, RiyYM, IjrvM, jRGpo, xXKZU, Msz, OfQHHi, CLXDRf, PSk, RqTyk, XMLEWZ, AKSxC, wGni, zdkZwq, srG, REnHb, svGeE, wVsGZ, ronagp, ABHKj, wuc, gfgTlf, SxLrwM, ZDw, czELu, xAS, OLsf, HWr, BTm, fCxS, ZUJ, Cby, lDrs, uyC, SuSJ, sxDdW, LPz, kvXd, mqg, fbrNlO, fny, VHE, ruD, dpSqFU, FLHPi, BqgvxG, pHw, QsO, bSK, ISo, DjZ, PgNQm, QZi, CSx, GRkG, iMs, SzilR, cInV, cfqtiP, shMYNq, KQjY, oIG, JIB, RCRJ, urR, eIFCCk, NntQD, hEb, kGCu, VuxTR, zqj, bLe, tSs, CeqPfg, XpT, hRsm, wQsTJN, MAiDj, GJfRj, ScXycL, DIklfn, JdXS, HdJ, Psuk, AkKLcE, fDMYSX, vwJ, Ohy, MGaNk, uIrfG, yFmiFA, ggomYk, sLYXo, qzqi, kXvTmi, kIjCjc,